Thursday, March 12, 2009

Service Dogs

Rarely do I use this forum to express my opinion about what anyone might construe as a controversial topic. I did say "rarely." I think this might be one of those rare times.

Recently, I've come across many people with service dogs. In restaurants, at school, walking around town, etc... As soon as I see a service dog I immediately get sad. I think the dog must live such a structured, non-carefree life and that just doesn't seem right to me.

On the other hand, I certainly see the good that service dogs can do for their owners. As a human, one would think that I would take the "human's side" and take this positive approach to service dogs and be in awe of all they can do for humans.

I can't. I want to go up to service dogs and pet them, run around with them, and let them be "free."

1 comment:

  1. I've thought the same thing. But I have wondered if someday one would come in handy for me (hopefully not). I have thought that if I were to have one, I'd let the dog be free at home and at the cabin to play and run. But I don't know if that would break the dog of all the training it had and I'm sure they cost a lot of money. I was just thinking, what we see in public is the dog by the person's side. If the dog misbehaved, they wouldn't be able to bring in into the stores/restaurants. Maybe it has more freedom at home.

    ReplyDelete