If there was ever a situation when the phrase, "better late than never" fit, this would be it.
Without further ado, almost 11 months later, here's a recap of the books I read in 2014 (those with an asterisk, I'd HIGHLY recommend, those with a pound sign, DON'T BOTHER!):
1. Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd (*)- While this wasn't necessarily an easy book to read, it was a great one.
2. Unremarried Widow by Artis Henderson
3. Black Heels to Tractor Wheels by Ree
Drummond
4. 12 Years a Slave by Solomon Northup (*)- In the same vein as The Invention of Wings, not an easy book to read, but an important one. (This was the book that the town I live in chose to read as a group. Sad, but I had never heard of it prior to then and when the movie came out.)
5. The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt
6. Murder on the Rocks by Allyson K. Abbott
7. Hens Dancing by Raffaella Barker
8. Destroyer Angel by Nevada Barr
9. Death Come Quickly by Susan Wittig Albert
10. Steeped in Evil by Laura Childs
11. Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter by Tom
Franklin
12. Visionist by Rachel Urquhart (#) - Weird, very weird.
13. Nesting Place by Myquillyn Smith
14. China Dolls by Lisa See
15. Deep Dish by Mary Kay Andrews
16. Top Secret Twenty-One by Janet Evanovich
17. Glitter & Glue by Kelly Corrigan
(*) - Great book about parents and their roles and how those play through in their children's lives.
18. Sugar Cookie Murder by Joanne Fluke
19. Chestnut Street by Maeve Binchy
20. Defending Jacob by William Landay
21. Song House by Trezza Azzopardi (#)- The description of the Welsh landscape can be so beautiful, yet the stories that take place in them are so depressing.
22. Dr. Nightingale Traps the Missing Lynx by Lydia
Adamson
23. Cocktail Hour Under the Tree of Forgetfulness by
Alexandra Fuller (*) - I absolutely LOVE Fuller's tales of growing up in central Africa in the 70's. It's interesting to imagine having grown up on a different continent, among exotic animals and landscapes. I highly recommend this and her first book, Let's Don't Go to the Dogs Tonight.
24. Murder with a Twist by Allyson K. Abbott
25. Cookbook Collector by Allegra Goodman
26. Dr. Nightingale Seeks Greener Pastures by
Lydia Adamson
27. The Mouse-Proof Kitchen by Saira Shah (*) - This is an amazing book, but complicated. After reading it, I remember trying to explain why I felt it was life-changing, but it was difficult to put into words.
Here's what I said on Goodreads:
This is an amazing book and by far the best I've read in a long time. It's brutally honest. The characters say what some people in "real life" are thinking but can't say. It's above love. It's about adventure. It's about disappointment. Read it -- you won't be sorry.
I'll leave you with that.
28. Looking for Alaska by John Green
29. Limpopo Academy of Private Detection by Alexander McCall Smith
30. Darling Dahlias & the Naked Ladies by Susan Wittig Albert
31. Dr. Nightingale Follows a Canine Clue by Lydia Adamson
32. Best to Laugh by Lorna Landvik (*) - Landvik is one of my all-time favorite authors and I (im)patiently wait for her new books to come out. This one didn't disappoint. It's a wonderfully crafted story with witty, endearing & believable characters. A feel-good book.







No comments:
Post a Comment