I was never a big Star Trek fan, but the title seemed fitting.
Here's what's new here:
- Yes indeed- we are at day 247 since quarantine happened. I am still working from home and as of now, will be doing so until the end of April (I firmly believe that will be extended to the end of June.)
- I still miss seeing family, friends, and co-workers. I realized recently it's been over a year since I've seen my parents. This has been tough for me. However, a few weeks ago, we Zoomed and it was so good to see them (vs. just talking to them). (Hi Mom & Dad- my faithful readers. 😅)
- Here in New England we had some 70 degree days last week (HALLELUJAH!), but are back to "real" fall weather- 40's and chilly. It looks like snow here today (gray), but none is in the forecast (hoping that's not a jinx...)
- I have done a fair amount of Christmas & John's birthday shopping online, so I feel that's somewhat under control. Knowing that there have been hiccups in delivery times, I decided to start early.
- Thanksgiving is not far away and not sure how that will look this year. I do know that we are going to cook a turkey breast in the air fryer (John's new favorite cooking tool!) I also know that I'll be making Pecan Pie Cake for dessert (even if it's just the two of us!) John LOVES pecan pie. While I'm not a fan, I decided that this might be a decent compromise. It calls for a Butter Pecan Cake Mix, which I'd never seen before, but stumbled upon in Walmart, so I grabbed it!
- I have dipped my toe in the yoga arena. My supervisor told me about Yoga with Adriene, a YouTube channel with short yoga videos for all levels of ability. I found a 20 minute video for beginners and I've done it a few times now. It complements the mat Pilates class I do via Zoom very nicely.
- I've done some (semi) crafty things, which I'll share, but they deserve their own post. We've also made a bunch of new recipes, also deserving their own post. However, here's a sneak peek at one we did recently- Ham & Gruyere Sliders with Raspberry Mayo. They were really good! We had a ham dinner and instead of making regular old ham sandwiches, we decided to try these. The raspberry mayo is a nice twist on just regular old mayo.
- And lastly, before I hammer out some book reviews, a picture is worth a thousand words-
Book #46- The Upside of Being Down by Jen Gotch
Summary: Memoir of ban.do Chief Creative Officer. Gotch suffers from serious mental health issues throughout her life and this memoir chronicles those travails.
Rating: B+. I thought this was an inspirational story- showing that mental health issues don't have to impede success and living. However, (and yes, I know it's a memoir) I felt like Gotch tooted her own horn. A lot.
Summary: A collection of autobiographical sketches by the famed writer, detailing New York society in which she grew up and the relationship she developed with Henry James.
Rating: D+. I loved Ethan Frome & House of Mirth. Thus, I thought what better way to get an insight into how and why these were written than reading Wharton's memoir. Wrong. So.much.minutiae. (About nothing.) And more time was spent on the first book she wrote, which was architectural in nature. Snooze. I skimmed the middle and read the beginning and end.
Book #48- Everything Beautiful In Its Time by Jenna Bush Hager
Summary: Jenna Bush Hager, the former first daughter and granddaughter, shares moving, funny stories about her beloved grandparents and the wisdom they passed on that has shaped her life.
Rating: A+. I absolutely positively loved this book. It was honestly the best of the memoirs I read in this stretch. It was honest and really portrayed The Bush presidents as humans, with real lives and familial relationships.
Book #49- The Making of a Miracle by Mike Eruzione
Summary: On the fortieth anniversary of the historic "Miracle on Ice," Mike Eruzione—the captain of the 1980 U.S Men’s Olympic Hockey Team, who scored the winning goal—recounts his career on ice, the legendary upset against the Soviets, and winning the gold medal.
Rating: C+. I loved the movie Miracle (about the amazing upset of the Soviets in 1980) and since Eruzione is a local hero, I thought I'd love this book. Meh. Another one that toots his own horn to a fault. And strikes me as someone who is not very personable (I have zero proof of this- just my impression.).






I watched the game between the soviets and Eruzione's team and it was a fantastic watch. One of the things I will never forget.
ReplyDeleteI also didn't think the books was worth the read.