Sunday, January 17, 2021

Week 2 of 2021: What Do I Love About Sunday?

Usually the answer to that question is "not much." 

I usually have the "Sunday Scaries" and mourn the end of the weekend.

However, on this particular Sunday, I can say I love the following about it:

  • It's not really a Sunday- it's a second Saturday! Tomorrow is MLK Jr. Day and I have the day off from work. I am extremely thankful for an extra day!
  • Sunday (not just this one, but every one) is "change the sheets on the bed day." I really have to rank sleeping on clean sheets up there as one of my favorites things. So, even though it's only 8:00PM, I already look forward to going to bed!
  • I made Snickerdoodle Chex Mix. I may have extolled the virtues of this sweet treat in previous blog posts, but I'll do it here. Again. I make it for Christmas and we always end up with lots of leftover cereal that we don't eat, so this year I will make batches until there is no more cereal. It's the simplest recipe and if our house is like yours, you'll find if you turn your head, the entire batch will be gone!


  • I was able to make serious progress on one of the puzzles I got for Christmas. I love Charles Wysocki's art, so I expect that this will be beautiful once completed. Fun fact about this- the Amazon driver apparently didn't think it mattered if the box was crushed/broken open. Luckily, the pieces are in a plastic bag inside the box, which was NOT ripped. Of course, I say that now- watch, there will be one piece missing at the end.



  • I get to watch one of my top five all-time favorite movies, Sweet Home Alabama. Granted, it's the 7,675th time I've seen it, but it still makes me laugh & smile.



Plenty of stuff to love about this Sunday! I hope you've enjoyed yours, as much as I have enjoyed mine!


BOOK REVIEWS 2021

Book #3: The Frangipani Tree Mystery by Ovidia Yu




Summary: This mystery is set in Singapore in 1936. The main character, Chen Su Lin, is 16 years of age and had been afflicted by polio. Su Lin no longer has any parents. She becomes the nanny of a disabled girl, Dee-Dee Palin, the daughter of the Governor of Singapore, after dodging attempts to have her married off.  The previous nanny, an Irishwoman, died from a neck injury sustained from falling off of a balcony a possible act of foul play. Therefore Su Lin takes over Charity's job. Su Lin decides to investigate Charity's death herself.

Rating: B+. I read all of the book in Yu's other Singaporean mystery series and really enjoyed them, so thought I'd give this one a try. This is the first book in the series and Su Lin is an endearing character. I will definitely read the next one in the series.


Book #4: The Day the World Came to Town by Jim DeFede




Summary: When 38 jetliners bound for the United States were forced to land at Gander International Airport in Canada by the closing of U.S. airspace on September 11, the population of this small town on Newfoundland Island swelled from 10,300 to nearly 17,000. The citizens of Gander met the stranded passengers with an overwhelming display of friendship and goodwill.

Rating: A+. This book came to me at just the right time. At a time in this country where there have been no "feel good" stories of late, I was glad to read this one from 19 years ago. While 9/11 was an absolutely horrific tragedy, the residents of Gander, Newfoundland were a bright light in a dark time. I can't stop thinking of the acts of goodwill that they performed, for not only the humans on the planes, but the animals, as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment