Saturday, April 10, 2021

Saturday Snippets

Those of you who know me, know I hate getting up early. PERIOD. (And I REALLY hate it on a weekend.)

But getting up early today was for a good cause- I got my first COVID vaccine! A friend of mine tipped me off to a local clinic that had several appointment openings and I was able to snag one. (Thanks Annie!)

The process was fairly seamless. I got the appointment online and registered online. Funny/weird-related story: in my haste to make sure I'd get one of the open appointments, I was somewhat typing haphazardly in the information form. There was a "Preferred Name" field and somehow (autofill?) Richard ended up there. Which is weird...because it's my Dad's name. (I had visions of getting to the clinic and them calling "Richard" and me thinking- is that me? Is that the guy next to me?) Thankfully, the preferred name never came into play.

I arrived at the clinic and got in the line which was outside, but moved fairly quickly. Once inside, I was asked if I pre-registered and sent to a check-in station. The woman checked me in and scheduled me for my second vaccine. 

Next, it was "have a seat and roll up your sleeve." I was asked a series of questions about allergies and then "take a deep breath." I'd say it was only a smidge more painful than a flu shot. It was a pediatric clinic so I had the honor of getting a My Little Pony bandaid. 😉

I was then directed to another station where my vaccine card was filled out and I was told to sit in chair #10. They set a timer for 15 minutes and when that was up, came to make sure I was feeling OK (I was), handed me my card, and I was on my way.

Since I was in an area that I don't normally go to, I decided to do some errands. While driving, I felt a few tiny stings/sharp pains in my shoulder and I felt a bit woozy, but part of me thinks there's some psychosomatics at play there.

I needed to return something at Eddie Bauer but since it wasn't open and since Whole Foods is in the same plaza and didn't look ridiculously crowded, I decided to pop in there. I haven't been in Whole Foods in maybe three-ish years? And now I remember why. I walked throughout the store with a carriage in the hopes of finding some fun foods that I can't get at my local grocery store. I did find some, but I'd forgotten how ridiculously expensive it is. Needless to say, I walked out empty handed.

I did my return at Eddie Bauer (the lone employee came out of the back without a mask on, but we'll just gloss over that) and then hit Trader Joe's.

Trader Joe's is much more my speed price-wise. I got some great frozen items (swordfish!) and some treats for John. 

Came home, had lunch, and then went "regular" grocery shopping. I took Grace (my stepdaughter with me.) It was the first time in over a year that she'd been in a grocery store. Needless to say, she was thrilled. Trips to the grocery store don't do the same for me, but whatever... She did really well and kept her mask on the whole time. I asked her if it felt weird and she said yes. (She has Down syndrome, so it's tough to know what she's thinking.)

After unloading the groceries, I decided to do this:




Here I sit blogging, enjoying the view and the sun. It's an absolutely gorgeous day in New England and it feels like we are FINALLY out of winter (and yes, it is April....)

Before I go, two plugs for your viewing pleasure. 

Last night we started watching This Is a Robbery on Netflix about the 1990 robbery of the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston. The Gardner is perhaps my favorite spot in Boston and I remember when the heist happened. We're only two episodes in, but so far we like it! 

We won't be watching it tonight, though, because it's the Frozen Four Championship game! I had North Dakota in my bracket to win it all, but they were booted out early on. We are rooting for UMASS for many reasons. It's a local school and they overcame adversity (COVID protocol) to win the semifinal game against Minnesota Duluth. They lost their top scorer, first string goalie, and third string goalie. (The equipment manager ended up being the emergency backup!)  They ended up winning in overtime, which was a thriller. Also, my uncle has done color commentary for UMASS hockey on the radio for over 20 years. Winning this would be a big thrill for him after all of these years. GO MINUTEMEN!


BOOK REVIEWS 2021

Book #13: The Portion Teller by Lisa R. Young




Summary: In The Portion Teller, you’ll develop portion-size awareness and learn how to lose weight without weighing food or counting calories. Using simple visuals such as a deck of cards, a yo-yo, a baseball, and even your own hand, you’ll find out what a serving size is supposed to look like and how many servings you can eat per day from each food group. The visuals are easy to use: If your piece of salmon at dinner is about the size of three decks of cards, you’ve eaten all your meat and fish servings for the day.

Rating: D. This was all repeat information for me (which I should have known going in). I've done Weight Watchers and that also teaches you portion size, so nothing new. She preaches about the visual aide of a portion size, i.e., eat something the size of a deck of cards. My mind doesn't work like that, so it wasn't overly helpful to me. There was a timeline of fast food/restaurant changes that was some semi-interesting.


Book #14: Anxious People by Fredrik Backman




Summary: Viewing an apartment normally doesn’t turn into a life-or-death situation, but this particular open house becomes just that when a failed bank robber bursts in and takes everyone in the apartment hostage. As the pressure mounts, the eight strangers begin slowly opening up to one another and reveal long-hidden truths.

Rating: B-. I didn't like this as much as I liked Beartown and A Man Called Ove. I felt like this book specifically was similar to Amy Sherman Palladino's writing (Gilmore Girls, Marvelous Mrs. Maisel), but in a slightly annoying way. Punchy. No breather. By the end of the book I was kind of over that style of dialogue (which is odd since I love both of the shows I mentioned.) 


Book #15: The Wonder Boy of Whistle Stop by Fannie Flagg




Summary: Does this really need a summary? Welcome to Whistle Stop in the current day (with flashbacks, of course.)

Rating: A. I loved this. I love Flagg's writing style and sense of humor. It was a light book in an often heavy world. (Don't take as long next time to write another book Fannie Flagg!)


Book #16: Becoming by Michelle Obama




Summary: Becoming is the memoir of former First Lady of the United States Michelle Obama, published in 2018.

Rating: A-. As a friend said to me- I felt like I should've liked this more. I was not at all interested in the pre-Barack story of her life (not sure why?), but once she met Barack, I was interested. She clearly did not want to be involved in politics, at all (and I felt like this book was her way of saying, "I did it, but I hated it.) The time when she and her family were living in the White House was of the most interest to me, as I've always been intrigued by it (and never been inside!)

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on getting your shot!

    Since we are old we got ours over a month ago. The only issue I had was getting us on the list. I called 46 times till I could actually speak to someone, Refused to leave a message, figured they would never call ne back,
    They called us to let us know what day we were to get the vaccine, drove in, did the paperwork ( I also did it on the phone) After the injection we sat in the car for 15 minutes. We had the two injections and no problem with either.

    ReplyDelete