Wednesday, June 22, 2022

My Dad Would've Been 76 Today

 


This is one of my favorite pictures of my Dad. (I have a lot of favorite pictures of him!) I'm not sure how old he is, but he's with his granddad (his Dad's dad) at a summer cottage in Nahant, Massachusetts.

The bathing suit gets me. The little bucket (?) he's standing in gets me. That blonde hair gets me. But most of all? The smirk/smile gets me. Cute yet a hint of the devil behind that smile. That summarizes my Dad!

As I often say to John, "I'm still pissed." 

I'm still pissed that this rare aggressive out-of-nowhere cancer lived in my Dad's body.

I'm still pissed that he's gone. His absence is really something difficult to put into words.

Yet I smile and chuckle when I think of all the people he made laugh. That was his "thing." I truly believe that one of the reasons he was put on this earth was to make people laugh. I always say that when I was sad or upset, he'd try to make me laugh. OH BOY would I get mad. (Especially when I was a teen & mad at my parents all of the time.)

My Mom & I went through a bunch of pictures and lo & behold...my Dad was laughing, making others laugh, or holding court in many of them. In my mind, that's how he lives on.

Happy birthday Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment