If you throw the baby out with the bath water, you lose the good parts of something as well as the bad parts, because you reject it as a whole instead of removing what is bad.
I spend some time each week reading library industry articles for my work. It helps me to keep apprised of trends in the industry and how they might affect my work/the work of my company. Last week I saw a link to a Seattle Times article. I read it and was flabbergasted (for lack of a better word.)
In a nutshell, a small group of citizens are trying to get the public library in Dayton, WA closed due to placement of materials dealing with gender, sexuality or race. Jessica Ruffcorn, who is leading this charge, says the library is, "...targeting kids with sexualized content." The library compromised and moved the materials in question to the adult section of the library. Ruffcorn said, "We do not trust their motives to move the books."
I'm sorry...WHAT? (That quote just blew me away. I'm still picking myself up after that.) As a librarian, I find that statement insulting. But wait...it gets even better.
In the voters' guide, the proponents of shutting the library down say, "The public library is an irretrievably compromised entity, and it needs to be removed from our midst."
This is where a double mic drop would come in handy.
I'm blown away. Flummoxed. Angered. Saddened.
I used the phrase "throwing the baby out with the bath water" because it's all I could think of to describe this situation.
These citizens want the library shut down because of what they consider to be the "bad" parts, completely ignoring the good parts.
Libraries are not just a brick & mortar building to house books. Libraries provide programming (storytime, language classes, author talks, etc. etc.) for the enrichment of their patrons. Libraries provide food for those struggling with food insecurity (see article here). These are just a few of the services that public libraries provide to their community.
All of these things will go away if the library closes. (NOTE: This library serves the entire Columbia County, so not only will the 2500 residents of Dayton be out of luck, the additional 1500 residents of the other towns in the county are also out of luck.)
I liken it to this- let's say I was against makeup for young women/girls (I'm not, but for the sake of this discussion, we'll go with it.) I went into Macy's and was horrified by all of the makeup counters and how easily accessible the makeup samples were to anyone of any age. I then decide because of this Macy's needs to be shut down and I go on a campaign to do so.
Hold the phone.
A) I am not the only person that shops at Macy's, so what gives me the right to prevent others from shopping there if I am able to shut it down?
B) Macy's doesn't just sell makeup. What about the clothes? What about wedding registries?
Throwing the baby out with the bath water.
I respect other citizens' right to their own beliefs. However, I do not accept it when others' beliefs infringe on mine and others. I hope the citizens of Dayton that respect and value the library (from the mother bringing her kids to the children's room to the 85-year-old using the computer) stand tall in November and let their voices be heard.
Closing a public library is an extremely dangerous precedent and one that I as a library professional will not standby and allow to go unnoticed.


As a displaced New Yorker the mic dropped quite awhile ago in Florida. State is leading the charge regarding books that aren't "suitable".
ReplyDelete