Saturday, January 17, 2009

Window Treatment Help

Please, please, please give your opinion re: window treatments for our dining room/kitchen. It's one large room, so the dining room is not formal. The walls are painted Sagey by Behr. I'm going for black as the other accent color. John and I seem to have fundamental differences on what should be hanging on these windows.

WARNING: Ignore the "stuff" on the table, counters, the orange countertops, the dark wood cabinets, the yellow sink, etc...

Here's the double window in the dining room. The only potential issue with this is that the bottom curtains hang to the top of the windowsill. Is this right? Should they hang lower? I love these curtains and John likes them, too, so other than the length issue, I think we're OK on these.



Also in the dining room "section" we have a large window that slides to open. I thought the valance, bottom tiers might look silly on this because the window is not naturally divided across the middle, so I went with some off-white linen tab tops. What are your thoughts on these?



Then we have the door that is in between the dining room and the kitchen. We both feel that there should be something over the window on the door, but we're not sure what.



Then, last by not least, we have the window over the sink in the kitchen. I thought we'd just do the striped valance, tier similar to the dining room windows, but John feels that will block out too much light. Would just the valance work?

2 comments:

  1. I like the curtains in the top picture. I feel like they should hang a little lower (I'm no expert, though) but they work. I love the tabbed panels. I have those in my dining room.

    I don't know what I would do about the door. None of my doors are made that way.

    In the kitchen, it kind of depends on which side of the house the kitchen is in. My kitchen is on the Western side of the house, so when the sun is setting (ie: when I would be cooking the most) there is WAY too much light coming in the window, so I have a Valance and a curtain in the middle.

    Wow that was long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a fan of curtains in general - for your windows that face the woods, I'd either do miniblinds or leave them plain - nobody is going to see in!

    The shortness of the bottom curtain makes the window look small. I'd lengthen the bottom one a bit, or scrap the valance idea and put in longer panels that will give the window some length.

    ReplyDelete