Monday, May 16, 2011

Drowning in books!!!

Now, don't get me wrong...drowning in books is not a bad thing. It could be worse. I could be drowning in prune juice, beef stew, snakes, or even just plain ole' water (although, back in the day I was a Red Cross certified swimmer that could tread water with the best of them, so the chances of that one happening are slim to none, and yes, we all know slim left town.) Now...where was I? Oh, yes...books, books, books.

Last night I finished Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys. Amazing. Fantastic. Depressing. It's been referred to as a modern Anne Frank and while I don't believe that really anything can compare to Anne Frank, this book is pretty close. It's a YA (or "young adult" for all you non-librarian-types) book, but rarely did I feel like I was NOT reading an adult book. It's historical fiction, chronicling the story a Lithuanian family captured by the Soviets and sent to work camps in Russia and Siberia. Told through the eyes of Lina, the teenage daughter, the reader is transported into these work camps, feeling the blisters from pulling beets, the frostbite from the Siberian winter, and the creepy crawly lice. Over 300-pages, I finished in a matter of a few nights and could not put it down. I wanted to know what would happen to Lina and her family. Would they survive? Read and find out...you won't regret it.

Tonight's book is the one you see over to the right...Spider Web by Earlene Fowler. She's one of my all-time fave mystery authors. Benni Harper, the main character in the series is the curator at a folk art museum in California that specializes in quilts. (All of the books in the series are named after a quilt pattern.) Benni and her policeman husband Gabe are a hilarious couple. If you haven't ready any, Fool's Puzzle is the first in the series -- give it a shot.

After that? I have FIVE, yes that's right FIVE books waiting to be read. Four are library books, so they'll come first.  They are (in no particular order):
  1. And I Shall Have Some Peace There by Margaret Roach
  2. Knuckler by Tim Wakefield
  3. Dressmaker of Khair Khana by Gayle Tzemach Lemmon
  4. Wilder Life by Wendy McClure
  5. Faith by Jennifer Haigh
Have you read any of these? If so, thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment