I wasn't sure if I should entitle this post, "Happy Memorial Day" or not. Is prefacing "Memorial Day" with "Happy" appropriate? Due to the solemnity of the holiday, I'm going to go with "no" (but I've been wrong before.)
If a person could embody a holiday, it would be my Papa and Memorial Day. My Mom's Dad served in WWII in the Air Force and received many commendations and medals -- five oak leaf clusters, three battle stars, and probably more that I'm embarrassed to say I don't know about. He was the master of the Memorial Day parade in his small town (population 3,000) and loved getting together for reunions with his service buddies. I remember one time while visiting him, he proudly got out a mission map that he had and showed me where he taken off from and where he had landed. I have a picture of him standing in front of a restored plane that he flew, but of course can't find it. (Another reason to organize my photos!)
Here he is at a family wedding. This is how I remember him -- a smile on his face.
He & I at my college graduation. (Excuse the crazy eyes on me.)
Thanks Papa. Thanks to all the men and women who have put their lives on the line for the citizens of this country.


No comments:
Post a Comment