Thursday, August 29, 2013

50 States? 50 Blogs!: Florida



Fourth Grade Nothing

Florida -- now home state of my parents! 

WARNING: There may be a lot of ramblings in this post.

Anywho, I'm pretty sure that my finding this blog was kismet. Not only am I a child of the '70's, which is the premise of this blog (I guess if you weren't a kid in the '70's that gobbled up Judy Blume books then the  title of the blog would mean nothing to you), BUT the very first post ever on this blog spoke to me in a personal way that not many other blogs do. (A photo is required.)



Know who that doll is modeled after?
Archie Bunker's grandson Joey.
Know who got that for Christmas one year?
ME.
I got a doll with a penis that peed water when you gave it a bottle.
The horrors!!!!
Yeah, so the author of the blog writes in her very first post about her Mom giving birth to a boy (she bawled her eyes out because she wanted a sister) and her Dad went out and got her the Joey Doll and all was well. Ally and I are forever tied together through the Joey Doll. ::sigh::

Further proof that perhaps we were separated at birth? We both LOVED Pippi Longstocking. (I remember that I had the Pippi Longstocking View Master reel.)

Oh, and even though Ally's a Yankees fan, I still love her blog.

Things that caught my eye about this blog:
  • Ally is REAL. She tells stories about her childhood (and not some picture-perfect faux childhood). This post about being a not so-good student in phys ed classes keeps it real. (Oh, and I can relate.)
  • Ally has taught me a thing or two. I thought I was up on all '70's & '80's toys. How come I don't remember a Holly Hobbie Bake Oven? (Admittedly I got some rockin' gifts as a kid [see above for Joey Doll], but this would have been THE best. [I had a Holly Hobbie themed bedroom.]) Oh, and that pink boom box in you just saw in the last post I linked? I rocked that. Literally & figuratively.
  • She seriously has some of the best photos of  '70's/'80's 'stuff.' This post with early '80's accessories is one of my faves. Yup, I had all of these.

Things on this blog that I'd like for my blog:
  • Giveaways! And I'm not just pointing that out because I happened to win this one on her blog.
  • Ally has a "companion" Facebook page. I know that a lot of blogs do that and I think it's cool, just not sure that I have a large enough readership.

I admit that I haven't read every post on Ally's blog, but I'm dying to. It's like taking a walk down memory lane!

If you were born in the early '70's or are just a '70's/'80's pop culture lover, I highly recommend you check out Fourth Grade Nothing!

2 comments:

  1. great readings. ;) They crack me up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this series that you're doing.... I can't wait to see who you feature when you get to NC ;)

    A note about the FB page thing... start it now... when your readership blooms because of the giveaways that you will soon be doing, you will already have it in place. I've read from a lot of 'big' bloggers that its better to have it when you are starting small and capture all of your readers that way than to started after you hit a boom and try to get everyone to go over there. Just my 2 pennies...

    ReplyDelete