Saturday, February 27, 2016

How to Invite People Over When You Live In Your House and it Shows

In 2014, I read a pretty great book:




What you may not be able to see is the subtitle - "It Doesn't Have to Be Beautiful to Be Perfect."

(Oh, and you may not be able to see the author's name- Myquillyn Smith. A completely funky/unique first name paired up with the most common American last name. Funny.)

Back to the book.

The gist is that your home is beautiful, no matter what. It's YOUR home and you should feel comfortable in it. You should also feel comfortable enough to have others over, regardless of the state it's in.

So what if only three sides of your house are painted (and you've lived there for nine years).

So what if you still have the mint green bathroom fixtures that were put in when the house was built?That you swore you'd get rid of ASAP.
Or, that wall to ceiling mint green tile with the purple flowers in it.

So what if you still have the hideous 80's cabinetry and even better - hideous orange countertops?

So what if we use the treadmill in the third bedroom to hang wet clothes off of?

So what if I didn't get all of the cobwebby things from the chandelier over our entryway?

The list goes on.

You know what, though?

We live here and we're happy.

Do I hope that we hit Powerball tonight and we can update everything? You betcha. Chances of that happening? (Well...you know the chances.)

I've never been good at having parties, never mind just inviting people over. I always think, "Oh, we'll just wait until we do this. Or that." And then a year goes by.

I need to get better at that. I will get better at that.

There are so many more important things than worrying about what others think about your house.

This post was inspired by the book I mention above and this blog post. (Also by Myquillyn Smith.)

This picture from the post sums it up:



Big deal.

This was a bit "deep," so I'll leave you with something humorous.



OK, so cheese "might" be a deterrent to inviting guests over...


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a great perspective here. I get so nervous before entertaining and tuck every item away into various drawers and closets, while my husband is always saying that it's OK to look like people live in the house, so I can totally relate to this!

    ReplyDelete