I'm making it my mission to look back through the photo stream on my phone and write related blog posts. So, yeah, we're turning the calendar back to Christmas!
I'd wanted to try an overnight french toast casserole for a while and I saw that the Pioneer Woman had one, so I decided to give it a whirl.
I wanted to make it on Christmas Eve and we'd have it Christmas morning, but due to scheduling, that was a bit tough. So, I pushed to a day later.
On Christmas night, I threw together the ingredients and it looked like this:
It's basically a loaf of French bread torn into bite size pieces with an egg/milk/cream mixture poured over it.
You also create the topping ahead of time (no pictures, however.) That is a pebble-like mixture of cinnamon, flour, brown sugar, butter & spices. (And really...the phrase "pebble-like" describes it to a "T!")
Stick both in the fridge overnight, wake up, pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees, pour the topping over the casserole bread/milk/egg mixture and cook for a while.
A while? Yes.
Per the recipe (which I'll post a link to below), you cook for 45 minutes for a softer "more bread pudding texture" and an hour (or more) for a firmer less liquid texture.
I cooked ours for an hour and it still was, how can I say this? Squishy.
You can't see the squishiness, but here it is:
While I enjoyed the flavors, I had a hard time getting past the texture. If I get some feedback re: cooking time and a firmer texture, I'd try it again.
Here's the recipe.
Have you made this before? Which texture do you prefer? If you prefer the firmer texture, how long did it end up taking to cook?
No comments:
Post a Comment