see top right for photo credit
Let me make no bones about it.
I.hate.exercise.
What? You didn't hear me?
I. HATE. EXERCISE.
I did the Couch to 5K program almost five years ago. I discovered that I *like* jogging (really just fast walking), but at the same time, also discovered I have no interest in competitive jogging, i.e., formal 5Ks.
Shortly thereafter, we bought a treadmill. I liked that because I could plug in my Kindle and catch up on British TV shows I'd missed. If it was cold outside, I could still jog/walk inside.
The whole "jogging thing" didn't last, however.
I got bored and found TV/Facebook/eating more interesting.
I've been on an exercise hiatus for at least a few years (sad, I know).
Recently, however, I decided I needed to stop being so sloth-like and pick up some form of exercise.
I reached deep into my memory banks and remembered that I used to LOVE Pilates!
My company used to have an instructor come in and do a lunchtime Pilates class that I was a part of. I remembered the benefits I gained- relaxation during a tough workday, improved posture, flexibility, and just the overall good feeling from exercising.
I did some creative Googling (stalking) and found that the instructor we had has her own studio in her house. I contacted her and voila - I now do a mat class on Monday nights!
Yes, it's only one day per week, but it is a workout!
After the first class, my core was killllllling me. (We did TRX, as well as Pilates.)
The last class we did on rollers and used weights. Arms? Killlllling me.
I guess that means it's working, right?
All this to say, that while exercise is NOT my favorite and I still pretty much hate it, I've found a program that I like and that invigorates me...and, as the cartoon says, it's better than being dead 24 hours a day. :)

The only way I get through my cardio is reading a good book or playing multiple games of Sudoku and solitaire on my tablet. Otherwise, I get bored and wander off....
ReplyDeleteThat's great that you found something you like! I think that's the trick. For me, it's tennis and walking. I tried to form a jogging habit many, many times, and I never liked it.
ReplyDelete