Sunday, March 24, 2019

Follow Your Nose - It Always Knows!




Those from my era (born in the 70's or prior) will remember this Froot Loops commercial. Toucan Sam was a wise dude -- "Follow Your Nose, It Always Knows!"

This is my tagline.

I have a VERY sensitive smeller.

There's actually a diagnosis for this- hyperosmia! See definition here from the Society of Sensory Professionals (and yes, that's a really society!)

Since John & I have been together, that has become more evident (mostly because he constantly reminds me of the fact.)

I smell something. He can't.

I smell something. He smells nothing.

Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. (for years)

UNTIL JUST RECENTLY.

Our house borders a state forest so we have a "wilderness" vibe to our property and thus we see the wildlife that comes along with it- squirrels, chipmunks, deer, and MICE.

We've noticed during the winter weather that the mice like to find a warm comfy place to stay, i.e., our basement, especially the unfinished side.

John tried basically every variety of trap out there and none of them were wildly successful.

So, one day we were visiting our niece in Maine and our brother-in-law came over to visit and mentioned how he had similar wildlife issues and made a homemade trap with a bucket of water and a "ramp." He put peanut butter along the inside of the bucket, wildlife climbed the ramp, went for the peanut butter and CURTAINS! ::glug glug glug:::

John decided to try this at our house. He used a gable vent as the ramp.


This was working really well. They were dropping like flies. Drowning like mice. You get the idea.

We figured we were good and had exterminated the majority of the rodent inhabitants. A few weeks/months went by.

Then, out of the blue, I went into the basement to get a drink and said to John, "I smell something."

And you guessed it, he said, "I don't smell anything."

I said "Just check the bucket. Humor me."

BINGO.

He said (and I quote), "I will never doubt your sense of smell again."

I'm sorry, what was that? Repeat that? (And yes, he repeated it.)

So, whenever I say I smell something now I do not get pushback.

I'm a certified super smeller.

Don't doubt the cartoon Toucan!








No comments:

Post a Comment