Sunday, September 27, 2020

Movie Review: Enola Holmes

 


Let me start by saying that I was initially drawn to this movie due to the fact that Millie Bobby Brown is in it (she plays Enola Holmes.). Millie Bobby stars in the Netflix drama Stranger Things, which I've written posts about previously. I love the show so I figured anything with her in it MUST be good. (Same concept as when you like the cover of a book- it MUST be good/well written!)

Enola Holmes is a Netflix original movie that was released last week. The basic premise is this- while searching for her missing mother, intrepid teen Enola Holmes uses her sleuthing skills to outsmart big brother Sherlock and help a runaway lord.

Oh, but it's so much more!

Enola is raised by a feminist in England (when feminism wasn't popular) and has no connection with her brothers for the majority of her childhood. (The movie picks up when she is 16 with flashbacks to her childhood.) Enola's mother has taught her "life skills" and "book smarts" which serve her well when she needs to find her mother who has left and rescue the lord. Her brothers Sherlock (yes, that one) and Mycroft are strangers to her but she quickly follows in Sherlock's footsteps and develops a kinship with him. 

A quirk about this movie (which I imagine viewers either love or hate) is that Enola frequently talks directly to the viewers (or doesn't need words and shares body language.) I found this "breaking the fourth wall" to be endearing and appropriate for character/age. 

I was rooting for Enola to find her mother, save the lord (and break away from finishing school, which the mean brother Mycroft sent her to). 

I loved it- two thumbs up!

You might be wondering if this is a tween/teen/young adult movie. It could be but there are a few small parts with fairly graphic violence. It is based on a young adult mystery book series by Nancy Springer, which of course I will be checking out.

Watch it! I laughed a lot and was drawn in by the period scenery/costumes and the intrigue.

1 comment:

  1. I watched it also. Netflix is suppose to do another season.

    Did you watch Cobra Kai? It was pretty good also

    ReplyDelete