As I think I mentioned in some previous posts, we've been trying new (to us) recipes during COVID quarantine. From March to maybe June(ish), we weren't getting takeout, so no outside food and we HAD to mix it up.
I wasn't great about taking pictures, but here are a few I found on my phone and the recipes that went with them.
Let's start with the most glamorous/sophisticated of the recipes, shall we? 😆
Frito Corn Salad from Butter With a Side of Bread
I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by how good this was! It's a perfect side for a cookout or a summer dinner.
Some tips- this makes a HUGE amount, so 1/2 it if you are not serving a crowd. Do NOT put the Fritos into the whole salad if you don't think you'll eat it in one sitting. They get extremely soggy after being in the fridge (trust me). So, break it up into portions and only put the Fritos on each right before eating. Bacon bits- let's talk about those. We are not a huge fan, so we used considerably less than it called for and we decided that next time we make it, we'll use real bacon. But, this is just a preference.
Another basic recipe- Tuna Macaroni Salad from Spicy Southern Kitchen
I made this while it was really hot in July/August and had it for lunch several days in a row. (It's nice to have something cold for lunch during the brutally humid days of New England summer.)
The different thing about this recipe is using relish. Admittedly, I was skeptical about putting relish in, but it gave it the perfect little something extra!
Continuing with the summer theme, we made refreshing Copycat Sonic Cherry Limeade Slushies from The Farmgirl Gabs (with maybe a touch of vodka 😂)
In terms of tips, I found when following the recipe exactly it was very cherry-ish. (I myself prefer more lime-ish) So, adjust, as necessary.
This next recipe is DELICIOUS! We've made it a few times and I'm always pleasantly surprised at how good it is. (In fact, I may have previously posted it, it's so good!) Pulled Pork Nachos by Katie's Cucina.
This one speaks for itself! We generally don't put bleu cheese on them, but for no particular reason. If you try any of these recipes, try this one!
This one does not look very appetizing, but it's definitely a sweet treat. Candied Walnuts from Sugar Spun Run.
We had an almost full bag of walnuts and so I consulted Pinterest on how I might use them. This jumped out at me. I had no expectations and again, I was pleasantly surprised. They went fast, so double up if you want them to last...LOL.
Book #39- Lavender Blue Murder by Laura Childs
Summary: Tea maven Theodosia Browning and her tea sommelier Drayton Conneley are guests at a bird hunt styled in the precise manner of an English shooting party. But as gunshots explode like a riff of Black Cat firecrackers, another shot sounds too close for comfort to Theodosia and Drayton. Intrigued but worried, Theodosia wanders into the neighbor's lavender field where she discovers their host, Reginald Doyle, bleeding to death. As Theodosia investigates, fingers are pointed, secrets are uncovered, Reginald's daughter-in-law goes missing presumed drowned, and Meredith is determined to find answers via a séance.
Rating: B. While I love this series, this was not one of my favorites. (And I really wish that they'd give Theodosia's on-again/off-again boyfriend more attention!)
Book #40- The Falcon Always Wings Twice by Donna Andrews
Summary: When Meg's grandmother Cordelia hosts a Renaissance Faire at her craft center, the whole family is put to work: Meg handles the blacksmithing, Michael and the boys will be performing, and no one misses the opportunity to dress up in full regalia. When one of the actors performing at the fair is found dead—an actor suspected of mistreating one of the falcons, among other sins—Grandfather is a prime suspect.
Rating: B-. Similar to the above, while I love this series, this was not one of my favorites. It seemed to drag somewhat (and Renaissance Faires are not my thing.)
Summary: Whether it's an umbrella cockatoo who's not eating, a depressed chinchilla, a pregnant potbellied pig, or a ferret possibly needing surgery, exotic animal vet Laurie Hess is at the front lines with some remarkable pets-and their equally eccentric, dedicated, and sometimes demanding owners. Follow a week in Dr. Hess's life as she tries to uncover the source of an unknown ailment killing some of her most vulnerable patients.
Rating: A-. I found this book to be fascinating! As someone who's only owned gerbils and dogs, I have been curious about the allure of exotic animal ownership, and this demonstrates that the bond between an owner and his/her dog is no different than an owner and his/her ferret. (Oh, and I was seriously hoping there would be no detailed snake stories. Thankfully there were not.)
Summary: New Orleans scrapbooking shop owner Carmela Bertrand's pre-wedding party is overshadowed when a friend's intended groom is murdered. Asked by the heartbroken bride to look into the case, Carmela must help her friend pick up the pieces while wrapping up a murder that has more than one lethal loose end.
Rating: C+. This is a separate mystery series from the one I reference above and I don't think I like it as much as the other. (I'd rather drink tea than scrapbook!)








No comments:
Post a Comment