Monday, May 22, 2023

Best Foot Forward

It's tough getting old. At age 51, I am paying dearly for all of the "cute" shoes I wore when I was younger- especially those that were a half size too small. 🙄 (Yes, I'm talking to you purple "velvet" flats with tassels from Fayva.)

I have a bunion on my right foot that over the past five or so years has gradually caused more pain and discomfort and severely limited the shoes I can wear for more than a block without crying. I finally went to a podiatrist a year or so ago and she gave me a list of sneaker/shoe brands that she recommended.

I started with Allbirds, specifically the Tree Runner. I really liked that I could take the soles and laces out and wash them. (I had a pale pink pair that got pretty dirty.) While they're good for my bunion, the material is very pliable and doesn't rub against it, the arch support is not great. (My podiatrist even mentioned that most people need inserts when wearing the Allbirds. When I had my appointment, I had just gotten them, so of course I was like- "Nope- don't need inserts.) 

Murray the Golden then met my Allbirds up close & personal. ::sigh:: I ended up getting a new pair- this time a darker gray color called "mist."



In light of vacations being planned that will involve a lot of walking, I decided to take the plunge and go for Hoka's. A local independent shoe store (Red's Shoe Barn) was having their spring sale with $10/$15/$20 off (depending on how much spent). I figured I couldn't do much better than that discount, so I went for it and got the Hoka Bondi 8 in the "Summer Song" color/design.



I wear a size 8 regular width, but decided to try on the wide width. OH.MY.GOD. It was like walking on a pillow. The extra room really helps with my bunion- I don't feel the material rubbing up against it all and I have less pain after wearing them.

So, there you have it. A post about feet. A post about what sneakers are best for an old person with a bunion 🤣


Do you wear Allbirds? Hoka? 

Do you have another brand you'd recommend?


2 comments:

  1. I realllllllly need to make an appointment with a podiatrist.

    Signed, 52-year-old feet

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to purchase a brand of those I thought they were a bit pricey so I didn’t try them on next time to Reds I will , love my Sketchers but need something a little more supportive thanks for the review .

    ReplyDelete