Saturday, March 23, 2013

March Is Frozen Food Month!

Since 1929, Americans have been enjoying frozen food. (Or so says Wikipedia). Thank you Clarence
Birdseye!

Growing up in the late 70's/early 80's, it was a true treat to pick a Swanson frozen TV dinner. I loved the fact that I'd actually get to eat it on a tray table in front of the TV and it would have its compartments, complete with a small dessert (the fruit cobbler like the one in the picture below were my faves.)

 

 
 
(Don't you love the "mostly white meat" notation? ::shudder::)
 
Frozen food has come a long way over the past 30-40 years. When I was in college and living alone, I ate A LOT of frozen food. I may have even been one of the first Americans to eat a Hot Pocket. (If you don't know what one is, well, you're missing out.)
 
In honor of March being Frozen Food Month, I'll share with you some of my favorite frozen foods.
 
Here they are in no particular order:
 
1. Hood Ice Cream Sandwiches: I've been eating these since I was a little girl (My Mom would be the first to tell you that I called them "ice santas.") They're a classic. (And they even have "mini-sized" ones for those of us trying to watch our weight.)
 
 
 

 
2. Stouffer's Macaroni & Cheese: I.love.this. Mac & cheese is one of my fave foods period, but this one is so creamy and full of...(bad stuff, I'm sure!).
 
 



3. California Pizza Kitchen's BBQ Chicken Pizza: This is one of my more recent finds. BBQ chicken is my recent pizza flavor obsession. I love taking the individual size ones for lunch. Try this -- you'll like it!




4. Trader Joe's Pork Gyoza Potstickers: These are fab! Moist, juicy and great with the matching Trader Joe's sauce.




5. P.F. Chang's Shanghai Style Beef: I must say that we were pleasantly surprised when we bought this (and the few other frozen P.F. Chang's meals that we've tried.) You cook it on the stovetop and it comes out pretty darn close to what you'd get in a restaurant. It's not watery. The sauce cooks and coats the meal perfectly. Yum.





And there you have it. An eclectic collection of frozen food that could ready for you in an instant!

Oh, and thanks to all who entered the big giveaway that I was recently a part of! Emily C. was the winner -- I hope she enjoys all of her super prizes!


2 comments:

  1. We eat a lot of frozen food ourselves. Hot pockets and TV dinners are a great lunch when at work or just solo. Don't need to make a big meal when its just yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! I've consumed a ton of frozen food in my lifetime...

    ReplyDelete