Thursday, October 17, 2013

It's [Not] All Greek to Me!

tza·tzi·ki: 

/tsäˈtsēkē/
noun
1. a sauce of Greek origin, made from yogurt, garlic, and cucumbers.


When I started on Weight Watchers almost a year and a half ago, a friend (thanks Vic!) recommended I check out Skinnytaste. It's an amazing blog/website with tons and tons and tons of recipes. All are on the healthy side and BONUS -- Weight Watchers Plus points are provided for each recipe.
There's usually a new recipe everyday and I love going there to check it out and Pin it if I like it.
When I had some free time on my hands, I decided to browse older recipes and started with those that are zero points in the Weight Watchers world. I came across one for Skinny Tzatziki.
I like Greek food and it seemed fairly simple to make, so I recently gave it a shot. 
Two thumbs up!
Here's a photo of the finished product from the Skinnytaste site. (I always look at photographs on food websites and am immediately jealous I can't take photos like theirs.)


Here's the recipe:
Skinny Tzatziki
Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes 
Servings: 8 • Serving Size: 1/4 cup  Old Points: 0 pts  Points+: 0 pts
Calories: 17.8 • Fat: 0 g  Protein: 2.6 g  Carb: 1.7 g  Fiber: 0.1 g    

Ingredients: 
  • 8 oz fat-free Greek yogurt (I used Fage)
  • 1 small cucumber, peeled and seeded (1 cup grated and drained)
  • 1 clove garlic, crushed
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • 1 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
  • 1 tbsp fresh chives, chopped
  • kosher salt and fresh pepper

Directions:

Strain the yogurt using a metal strainer or a coffee filter for a few hours to remove as much liquid as possible. Set aside.


Scoop seeds out of the cucumber with a small spoon. Place cucumber in a mini food processor or grate with a box cheese grater. Drain the liquid from the  cucumber in a metal strainer and sprinkle with a little salt (this helps release the liquid). You may want to use the back of a spoon to help squeeze out any excess liquid.

Combine strained cucumber, garlic, yogurt, salt, pepper, lemon juice, dill, chives and refrigerate for a few hours before serving.

Makes about 2 cups. Store in refrigerator for about a week.

Comments from me:
  • I didn't use Fage brand (I think I got Oikos)
  • One small cucumber did not end up being 1 cup grated and drained, so you may want to get two.
  • Not sure if my salt and pepper were kosher.
  • I used a box cheese grater to grate the cucumber.
  • It made a lot more than we could eat in one week. I think I'd halve the recipe next time (or find more ways to use it!)
Here's my yogurt straining (I went the metal strainer route):


Finished product (so much less glamorous than the photo two above) -- orange countertop and all:



We happened to be having burgers the night I made the tzatziki and so we put some on them and OH.MY.GOD. Amazing topping!!! Would highly recommend that. 

Now off to find a gyro recipe!

1 comment:

  1. This looks really easy and delicious. I love Greek food, especially gyros.

    ReplyDelete