Saturday, January 10, 2015

Write On!

photo credit: Real Simple, December 2014, page 80. 
(And yes, I'm a librarian, but no, I don't feel like citing using MLA or APA. This is the KT quick cite method.)


As mentioned in my last post, I've been super busy of late. After Christmas, I decided to take the time to catch up on the ever growing pile of magazines on my nightstand.

I came across the above snippet in the December issue of Real Simple in the article named, "5 Old-Timey Rituals That Should Make a Comeback."

It really struck a chord with me. 

Back in the day I used to LOVE to write letters. In junior high, I had penpals in Canada, Sweden, and France. In high school, I began corresponding with penpals in Ohio and Pennsylvania. (FYI: I still keep up with most of them via Facebook now.)

As long distance calls were expensive for a college student, I'd often write letters to my friends back home. When I left my first college, I kept in touch with the friends I'd made via, you guessed it, letters.

Judith Martin (aka Miss Manners) is right on the money. While phone calls, texting, and social media have their place in today's society (I certainly don't disagree with that), there is still a place for the handwritten note.

I haven't sent Christmas cards for the past two years due to being so busy and I've mourned the loss of writing notes in the cards to those that I don't see or talk to very often. 

Well Miss Manners, mission accomplished. 

I've decided that I will write a handwritten/personal note in each birthday card I send this year (and yes, I still send those.) It may make me late in sending them, but so be it.

Do you still write letters? Notes in cards? Actually send cards?

No comments:

Post a Comment