I don't think it's any secret that I'm a huge proponent of libraries.
I would never be able to pay for my voracious reading appetite if there was no public library (hard copy books are almost $30!) Yes, I could buy books to download to my Kindle, although not free either (and occasionally I do), but there are a few reasons I don't:
- I'm a traditionalist. I like the feel of a book in my hands.
- 99% of my reading is done before bed. I found it awkward to hold my Kindle while laying in bed.
- Also, looking a computer screen before bed is not supposed to be good for you and I sometimes felt that it made me more awake than more sleepy (which is what reading a "traditional" book usually does.)
- There are fewer e-books available and often I'd have to wait much longer to get one than a hard copy.
(In full disclosure, I should say I've NEVER listened to an audiobook. I know, I know- I'm a dinosaur.
I digress.
A few years ago I ran into this article in the Boston Globe asking if towns/municipalities should fund public libraries.
I think some great arguments are made on the YES side (the side I'm on.)
Some of the points on the NO side I would challenge:
- Now, digital media and the Internet have dramatically expanded access at significantly less cost to the individuals who utilize them.
- Yes, digital media and Internet have dramatically expanded access- no argument there.
- However, there are still plenty of people in the United States that can't afford Internet in their home. The librarian on the NO side is from Boxford, MA, which is a relatively wealthy town (Wikipedia tells me it's 10th in Massachusetts in terms of per capita income.) I think it's a bit short-sighted to think that everyone can just go out & get Internet.
- Attempting to remain relevant, municipal libraries are adding other entertainment, often duplicating local cafés, nonprofit clubs, and community centers, with the costs being picked up by taxpayers. Is it wise — or fair — to require taxpayers to fund an approach that uses the library label to secure public monies to replicate entrepreneurial ventures?
- Yes, libraries are evolving beyond just a building that houses books. However, libraries have always provided programming- this is nothing new. So, just because the type of programming is changing (with the times), is that a reason to pull the plug?
So, which side of the argument are you on?

No comments:
Post a Comment