Thursday, February 27, 2020

Do You Believe In Miracles? (and three book reviews)

February 22nd- a day that will live in infamy...for two reasons.

On February 22nd, 1980, the US Olympic Hockey Team beat the Soviet team- the "Big Bad Wolf." This became known as "Miracle On Ice." Not only did the US pull off an epic upset against the "enemy" Soviets, but many Americans felt that this was a "check" in the win column of the Cold War between the two powerhouses.

In 2004, a movie was made about this story- simply called Miracle.

It's one of my top 10 favorite movies of all time. It's such a feel good story and a reminder that the underdog can prevail. In fact, since the making of that movie, many professional sports teams have shown the movie in their clubhouses before important games to remind players of what can be done when you set your mind to it.

This is one of my favorite scenes from the movie- when the US Olympic Hockey Team coach Herb Brooks (played in the movie by Kurt Russell):




So many great quotes-

  • "Great moments are born from great opportunity."
  • "One game. If  we play them 10 times, they might win 9. Not this game. Not tonight."
  • "This is your time. Their time is done. It's over."
  • "THIS IS YOUR TIME!"


Here's the final minute of the game with the call by legendary sports broadcaster Al Michaels:



From this, a legendary phrase was born- "Do you believe in miracles?"

Fast forward 40 years to February 22nd, 2020. Another "miracle" of the hockey variety takes place.

The Carolina Hurricanes were playing the Toronto Maple Leafs in Toronto. James Reimer (#1 goalie for the Canes) was injured only minutes into the game and soon exited. Enter backup goal Petr Mrazek. With a minute left in the second period, Mrazek was taken out by a Leafs player.

Enter the backup to the backup.

The emergency goaltender.

A 42-year old Zamboni driver named Dave Ayres came into the game.

Why am I calling this a "miracle?"

The emergency goalie almost NEVER gets into games. In the last few years, I only remember one other time this happened. It's almost like a position player coming in to pitch in a baseball game. Someone who normally doesn't play the position is thrown into the fire. I think that hearing these types of stories gives everyday people (non-professional athletes) a reminder that this could happen to anyone. Ayres played in the minor leagues for years. He stayed close to the game...and he got his chance.

Oh, and did I mention he was also the recipient of a kidney transplant?

GO DAVE!!!!!

Here's Canes' coach Rod Brind'amour's post game speech and Dave's reception from the team:



Did I mention he made eight saves and the Canes won the game??!?!?!

Book #6 of 2020: If At Birth You Don't Succeed by Zach Anner



Summary: This is a memoir of young comedian/filmmaker/YouTube star Zach Anner. Zach was born with cerebral palsy. He chronicles the different stages of his life and the challenges he faced- all with a sense of humor.

Rating: B+. I thought this was a very "real" account of someone with a disability's life. Anner doesn't hold back and shares things from going away to college to control of bodily functions to his first sexual experience (a real topic for adults with disabilities that I don't hear much about.) This was eye-opening.

Book #7 of 2020: A Long Petal of the Sea by Isabel Allende




Summary: This story begins during the Spanish Civil War, and spans oceans and continents' worth of political upheaval. When Franco's fascists defeat the Republican army, an exodus of thousands escapes into France. One refugee is Roser, a young pianist, widowed and pregnant with her first child. The chances for her survival become complicated when her dead husband's brother Victor offers her an "opportunity:" Get married – though neither of them wants to – because it will improve their chances at survival.

Rating: A. I love Allende's writing and this book was no exception. This saga was rich with drama and deep characters (does that make sense?) Excellent story- highly recommend (and if you haven't read any of her other books, do that, too!)


Book #8 of 2020: A Place For Us by Fatima Farheen Mirza




Summary: As an Indian wedding gathers a family back together, parents Rafiq and Layla must reckon with the choices their children have made. There is Hadia: their headstrong, eldest daughter, whose marriage is a match of love and not tradition. Huda, the middle child, determined to follow in her sister’s footsteps. And lastly, their estranged son, Amar, who returns to the family fold for the first time in three years to take his place as brother of the bride. What secrets and betrayals have caused this close-knit family to fracture? Can Amar find his way back to the people who know and love him best?

Rating: C. I really really really wanted to like this book more, but I found it very difficult to get engrossed in. The characters were interesting but I just found myself slogging through mud trying to finish it. I can't quite pinpoint why. If you've read it, what was your opinion?

3 comments:

  1. I just downloaded Do You Believe In Miracles? Hubby and I were just married and watched the game at my aunts house. WHAT a game!!!!! The book should be really good.

    Linda
    BestofLongIslandandCentralFlorida

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be interested to hear how the book is!

      Delete
    2. Really liked it. I especially liked learning about they guys.

      Linda

      Delete