Sunday, March 8, 2020

Leaving the Upside Down

About a month and a half ago, John and I started watching Netflix's series Stranger Things.

I tend to be a "late adopter" of TV series that are all the rage at the time. This series originally aired in 2016, so I was about four years fashionably late. 😂

Wikipedia calls Stranger Things "...an American science fiction, drama-horror web television series." Neither John nor I are into science fiction or horror (probably the reason we weren't drawn to the show in 2016), but I am a big 80's fan. I grew up in the 80's, so I love it when TV shows/movies portray that era. I heard from a few different people that they really enjoyed the show and they referenced the fact that it was set in the 80's and there were a lot of 80's pop culture references.

SOLD!



We've now made our way through all three seasons. I have to say that the first season charmed me with the perms, puffy shouldered shirts, blue eyeshadow, and the Volkswagon Cabrio and I was able to see past the science fiction "stuff." Unfortunately, the charm wore off and by the time we were in season three, I was not as thrilled with the show.

The ONE THING that made season three worth it was the Suzie Poo/Dusty Bun/Neverending Story scene.



We were watching it and John looks at me and says, "Is this the song you're always singing?"

YES!

Totally random, but yes.

OK- I digress.

In Stranger Things, the alternate dimension/universe where the aliens/science fiction "things" live is called "The Upside Down." It's a scary slimy place that seems to suck the characters in and miraculously they all (mostly) come out slightly worse for the wear but then go on to live their rad 80's lives.

John and I had a moment while watching and seeing the Upside Down and likening it to his experience last year with cancer. Absolutely terrifying and scary. But, like Nancy, Hopper, and other characters, we made it out of the Upside Down. We came out with slime on us and couldn't "unsee" things we'd seen, but we made it.

One of the last remnants of living in the Upside Down went down the drain recently (literally).




After John shed his feeding tube, he often struggled to get enough calories/find things that tasted OK/didn't spike his blood sugar. He drank these Enterex Diabetic shakes for quite a while. I was cleaning out our refrigerator in our basement and this was the last shake. I ceremoniously poured it down the drain and photographed the moment.

Goodbye Upside Down!


Book #9 of 2020: The Dream Lover by Elizabeth Berg


Summary: A work of historical fiction of Amantine-Lucile-Aurore Dupin, best known by her pseudonym George Sand, a 19th-century French novelist and memoirist; rich in character, culture, and history.

Rating: A-. I really enjoyed this book. I'm not always a huge fan of historical fiction but I am a huge fan of Elizabeth Berg- I've loved all of her books (which are not historical fiction- just "regular" fiction). I think she handled this topic exquisitely and I found what can sometimes be boring/stuffy history stuff to be interesting.

Book #10 of 2020: Evvie Drake Starts Over by Linda Holmes



Summary: In a small town in Maine, recently widowed Eveleth "Evvie" Drake rarely leaves her house. Everyone in town, including her best friend, Andy, thinks grief keeps her locked inside, and she doesn't correct them.

In New York, Dean Tenney, former major-league pitcher and Andy's childhood friend, is struggling with a case of the "yips": he can't throw straight anymore, and he can't figure out why. An invitation from Andy to stay in Maine for a few months seems like the perfect chance to hit the reset button.

You can imagine what happens!

Rating: A+. I LOVED this book. I didn't want it to end. It's an easy to read "rom-com" but it totally sucked me in. I loved the fact that it was set in Maine and baseball was a major part of it- two things I'm familiar with and could relate to. I was cheering Evvie on the entire time!

No comments:

Post a Comment