Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Happy Birthday Nana

My paternal grandmother, whom I called her Nana, would've been 90 today (if my math is right). She died almost six years ago after a long battle with Parkinson's Disease. Often times when people leave us and they've been gone for a while, we don't take the opportunity to remember them as frequently as when they first left us.

Here are the things that I remember when I think of my Nana:

-- The smell of marigolds: I remember helping her to plant the orange and yellow flowers in front of her and my Granddad's house.

-- Homemade donuts: I remember she and I used the Fry Daddy to make donuts and I thought that was so fun.

-- Getting my picture taken at JCPenney: When I was probably four or so, she took me downtown and got professional pictures of me taken at JCPenney. She told me not to tell my mom, as it would be a nice surprise for her. Typical Katie...the first thing I said to my Mom when I saw her was, "Mom: Nana took me to get my pictures taken!"

-- Bowling the big balls: She bowled in a league with the "big balls" or ten-pin bowling and I remember going with her in the mornings to the bowling alley.

-- My blue & maroon afghan: She could knit up a storm! I remember how excited I was to get my very own afghan and matching pillow after watching the adults get them at Christmas.

Happy Birthday Nana...I hope you're having a gin & tonic to celebrate. :)

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful tribute...makes me get emotional. Also makes me think of our shared Nana...
    -Tiff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written, KT.

    Hey, I gave you an award. Check out my cooking blog for details!

    ReplyDelete