Saturday, October 29, 2011

You Say "to-mah-to" and I Say "to-may-to"

What do you call each of these things? My answers are at the bottom. (Don't cheat!)

1.



2.


3. 


4.



5.



6.



7.



8.








1.  Carriage. Having worked at a grocery store in high school, I think I picked that term up there. All I can here is, "So and So, Carriage Control." I've heard it called a cart, shopping cart, wagon.

2. Couch. I remember hearing my Great Aunt T. calling it a divan and I almost laughed out loud. Sounds very old-fashioned. I've heard it called a sofa, settee.

3. Pocketbook. I always feel funny saying this, although not sure why. Most everyone I know calls it a purse. Also called a bag, satchel.

4. Sub. I think when I was younger and lived in western Massachusetts, I called it a grinder, but after moving to the Boston-area, I converted to "sub." I've heard it called a hoagie, submarine sandwich.

5. Soda. When I was in 7th grade, having just moved to the Boston-area, a friend asked if I wanted to go to the tonic machine. My answer? "They have machines for tonic water?" Um, yeah. I'd never heard soda called tonic. Totally Bostonian. I've heard it called pop and some people call all flavors of soda "Coke."

6. Dresser. Occasionally I call it a bureau. I've heard it called a chest of drawers.

7. Sweatshirt. This one bugs me. My husband calls this a "jersey." Um, NO! A "jersey" is a long sleeve shirt. The new fad, of course, is calling it a hoodie.

8. Tag Sale. Yet another western Massachusetts term, I think. Most everyone calls them yard sales or garage sales (even if they're not in the yard or the garage.)

No comments:

Post a Comment