Tuesday, November 6, 2012

It's Election Day: Shhhh!

 
 
 
November 6th.
 
Election Day.
 
Shhhh.
 
What you say? I should, "Shhh???"
 
Yes, that's right.
 
Growing up, I remember learning about elections and shortly after a presidential election (I'd have to guess the 1980 election) I asked my Mom who she voted for.
 
WHOA.
 
You would've thought I asked her to hand over the Hope Diamond. Or tell me who was buried in Grant's tomb.
 
I got a very serious/stern response.
 
"You do not ask people who they voted for."
 
OK then.
 
Did you ever get this response? (I'd like to think it wasn't just me.)
 
I have to say that I've carried this with me for the past 30ish years.
 
I never discuss voting with friends, co-workers, or even family. I even feel funny asking my husband who he voted for.
 
Why do I bring this up, you ask?
 
Facebook.
 
Or, in the weeks leading up to Election Day, shall we call it, "Politicsbook?"
 
I've blocked more people from my Facebook newsfeed over the last few weeks than I have over my entire Facebook "career."
 
People of the U.S. certainly have a right to their opinions and the right to voice them (benefit of living in this country!), but the whole, "I'm going to shove my political opinions down your throat and that will make you change your mind" is NOT the way to go, in my humble opinion.
 
Asking friends on Facebook who they're voting for, is NOT the way to go, in my humble opinion.
 
With Facebook and social media, everything is so "out there." And I realize I sound really old saying this, but is having everything so "out there" the way to go? Maybe if people had boundaries, it would work, but of course, that's not the case.
 
I realize this has been a rambling of my opinions and if you've read this far, thanks.
 
To summarize: it's no one's business but your own (and your soulmate's if you so desire) who you voted for. Don't ask someone who they voted for. Don't tell someone who you voted for.
 
As Laurel & Hardy say, "Shh....it's a secret."



No comments:

Post a Comment