(Don't Be) Too Timid and Squeamish
Another great name for a blog! (If you read the "About" page of the blog, you'll learn that it's a Henry David Thoreau quote.) Can't remember where I found this one (maybe BlogHer?) I was initially drawn to it because it's basically a whole blog dedicated to the idea behind my 40 Before 41 list. Try new things! Don't be so timid or squeamish! Even though I've been reading this blog for a while, I feel like I'm going to miss something when I describe it -- there's A LOT going on! Marcy shares her exploits -- her trials & tribulations of getting to be able to do 50 push-ups, making a pledge to eat "real" food for a week, traveling alone to Costa Rica, and that's just a few! (And if you're thinking, "Whoa -- this chick will put me to shame with all of her 'doing!' she does also have 'normal' posts, such as her 10 favorite Christmas ornaments.)
Things that caught my eye about this blog:
- Marcy's a "real" person. Yes, this blog is all about her not being so timid and squeamish and performing acts that will enable this. However, as I mention above, she has "normal" posts AND she "vlogs" or video-blogs. (Like how I throw around the social media lingo? Eh...there's probably some newer term that I'm not aware of.) Here she airs her pet peeves. I like that I can see her and hear her. She's super human for doing all these fabulous things, BUT she's just like you and me!
- Postcards! Yes, you must check out this awesome idea. She wants to know about the amazing non-timid and non-squeamish things YOU are doing! "Celebrate your courage" is one of her catchphrases (I like it!) Mail her a postcard -- share your story. She might feature it!
- OK, so let's recap. She's Wonder Woman, yet "normal." She's not all about herself-- she wants to hear others' acts. AND get this (my favorite): she's not embarrassed by stuff. Um, if I covered my garage door in graffiti, I'd be pretty mortified (well, OK, let's face it, I probably wouldn't do it in the first place -- too timid! :) Yes, you guessed it -- she tagged her garage door with graffiti.
Things on this blog that I'd like for my blog:
- The "Favorites" section (also in the border on the main page). I'd like the ability to highlight certain posts. Also, I think that this helps newbies to a blog to get a feel for it. (I know it helped me with this one!)
- A separate menu/page for Marcy's "101 things in 1001 days." I'd like to do this for my "40 Before 41 list."
- I like the cleanliness of the blog. I feel like mine is somewhat messy and all over the place. Perhaps because "Don't Be" is done on WordPress and I'm on Blogger. I'll have to check that out.
Want doable ideas to challenge yourself? Want to be encouraged for these triumphs? Check out this blog from the Nutmeg State!

Thanks for the shout out! I'll be checking out the other blogs you feature :)
ReplyDelete