Sunday, August 4, 2013

Let's Talk Twitter

I joined Twitter in June 2011 (hard to believe it's been over two years -- time flies!). I joined because it seemed like the thing to do.

I was on Facebook.

Next step in social media progression?

Twitter.

Only a few of my friends were on Twitter at that point and I quickly lost interest. (My attention span isn't that long to begin with.)

Over time, I realized that many of my favorite celebs were on Twitter. (Confirming that it was really them by only checking out the verified accounts.)

Here's a smattering of celebs that I follow (although my husband might call it stalking):

  • Susan Wittig Albert (@SusanWAlbert): One of my all time favorite mystery authors.
  • Denis Leary (@denisleary): Funny comedian/actor.
  • Jerry Remy (RemDawg) (@Jerry_Remy): Broadcaster for the Boston Red Sox
  • Chris Bohjalian (@ChrisBohjalian): Author of several amazing books.
  • Kelly Ripa (@KellyRipa): Actress/co-host of "Live with Michael & Kelly" (or is it "Live with Kelly & Michael?)
  • Kevin Millar (KMillar15): Former  Boston Red Sox player
and on and on.

I never really thought much about actually sending a Tweet to these people, but mostly just reading their innermost thoughts (of course, revealed through Twitter.)

Then, I wrote a blog post about five things I'd bring to a deserted island. Since one of those was books by Marian Keyes, my hands down most favorite author ever, I decided to tweet the link to her:





I didn't get a response and I was disappointed (I'm so naive.) I kind of laid off Tweeting to "celebs" or if I did, I just told myself to have no expectation that they'd actually read it, let alone reply.

And then...

Just a few short months later...

During a Celtics game, I randomly responded to a tweet by Holly Robinson Peete (for those of you from my generation, star of "21 Jump Street" and "Hangin' with Mr. Cooper." for those from a later generation, contestant on "The Apprentice.")

She had made some comment about Doc Rivers' (coach of the Boston Celtics) voice being hoarse and him needing a throat lozenge.

I replied to her Tweet and the magic happened.




Holly Robinson Peete (I almost typed "Tweete") LOL at ME. Little ole' me. Can you believe it?

I then figured the sky was the limit and started replying to other celebs' Tweets or even just sending my own Tweets to them. (Now, let's get one thing clear. I wasn't doing this 24/7. I don't live in my parents' basement. I'm just talking more than almost never...Occasionally.)

I ended up actually getting a few more responses or "favorites" by celebs!

Chris Bohjalian (aforementioned author):




Melanie Benjamin (author of the recent hit, "Aviator's Wife" and supporter of libraries):




Cowboy Troy (country/rap (?) singer who sings, "I Play Chicken with the Train," which was the song that Donald Driver & Peta Murgatroyd danced to and won "Dancing with the Stars" with. [Isn't my pop culture knowledge downright frightening?])




OK...my favorite of all. Remember (I'm asking just in case you have a short term memory problem) how my first Tweet to a celeb went ignored? My fave author of all time, Marian Keyes was silent?

Well, guess what? She "favorited" a Tweet that I sent to her (I realize that you can't see that SHE favorited it, but take my word for it.) Oh, and I like her even more now that I know that she hated the movie Lincoln just as much as I did. (Which I know puts us in the minority.)





Twitter's not all about the celeb connection for me. I started following the Massachusetts State Police after the Marathon Bombing and came across this gem. My witty friend @adeandorau had a response that put a smile on my face:



Twitter's cool in its own way, but still not my favorite form of social media.

However, should you choose to listen to my drivel/sometimes witty posts, you can follow me @KatieSully3.

3 comments:

  1. I'll go follow you now! I just hopped on this bandwagon myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Twitter... I've kind of fallen off the bandwagon lately... I need to step it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never used Twitter. I am not interesting enough.

    BTW, I nominated you for a blog award: http://rachel-babymakesthree.blogspot.com/2013/08/liebster-blog-awards.html

    ReplyDelete