Sunday, January 26, 2020
Sunday Stuff
As mentioned in my last post, it was snowing & frigid here last Sunday. The cold weather continued through Monday (Martin Luther King, Jr. Day), and since we had the day off, I decided to make White Chicken Chili in the Crockpot.
I make this recipe from Spicy Southern Kitchen blog. It's extremely simple and is very hearty. (And who doesn't love to eat their dinner with Fritos?!)
At work recently, the group I'm in was talking about a chili cookoff. There was a lot of trash talking going on about "real" chili and I brought up white chicken chili. It was dubbed "amateur hour." LOL.
Another recipe on this blog that I really want to try is Slow Cooker Brisket Chili. I will definitely report back on how that turns out once I make it.
Coincidentally, dinner tonight is a recipe from this blog, as well- Stuffing Topped Pork Chops. Not exactly gourmet or healthy, but they look good nonetheless!
We finished another puzzle- in record time. This is the cheapo one I mentioned in my last blog post. The quality was actually decent but it was too easy.
I think we will take a break from puzzles for a short while. :)
I just heard that basketball great Kobe Bryant perished in a helicopter crash this morning. Another reminder that life is short and every moment should be enjoyed. Hug your loved ones a little tighter tonight.
Book #5 of 2020: Beneath the Tamarind Tree by Isha Sesay
Summary: In the early morning of April 14, 2014, the militant Islamic group Boko Haram violently burst into the small town of Chibok, Nigeria, and abducted 276 girls from their school dorm rooms. From poor families, these girls were determined to make better lives for themselves, but pursuing an education made them targets, resulting in one of the most high-profile abductions in modern history. While the Chibok kidnapping made international headlines, and prompted the #BringBackOurGirls movement, many unanswered questions surrounding that fateful night remain about the girls’ experiences in captivity, and where many of them are today.
Rating: C. When I updated Goodreads to indicate that I was reading this book, I happened to scroll down on the page and see some reviews written by readers. This *may* have prejudiced my feeling about this book. I noticed that one reviewer stated that Sesay, the author, was somewhat narcissistic and spent the time bragging about herself and focused on her life. I'd have to say I agree. This book could've been half as long and told the incredible story of the Chibok girls and been much more effective. Sesay focused on trying to get a "scoop" and took focus away from the real heroes. It's too bad, because this is an important story for people to hear- one that in the Western world many are no aware of.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment