Thursday, June 12, 2008

Great Series, Good Author, Bad Book

I almost NEVER prematurely stop reading a book, regardless of how bad it is. I continue to give the book second and third chances, thinking that the next chapter will be better. I am reading a book right now that I am contemplating marching right back to the library; half unread.

BACKGROUND: Mysteries are one of my favorite genres. I mostly like cozies or mysteries without hardcore murder details. Linda Barnes, Susan Wittig Albert, Katherine Hall Page, and Nevada Barr are a few of my favorite mystery authors. I read the books in their series in order and love following the lives of their main characters.


Nevada Barr writes the Anna Pigeon series. Anna is a park ranger and each book in the series details her work in various National Parks around the U.S. The novels also tell about Anna's personal life, including her therapist sister who is married to her ex-boyfriend, her preacher/policeman husband, and the various animals she's adopted. I like reading about these details and "watching" her life unfold. The national park backdrop is interesting, but not the main reason I read Barr's novels.


So, the latest book Winter Study has crossed the line. Way too much information about trapping wolves. I just don't need to read about the trapped wolf thawing out and then the dissection, about the collection of scat (poop) and urine. Not to mention that I found a mistake in the book. She refers to American University of Bethesda. Um...it's not in Bethesda...it's in D.C.


How disappointing.


No comments:

Post a Comment