I was pretty sick (and tired) the day after Christmas, so going out shopping was out. I was pretty bummed, as I make it a practice to get up and go to Marshall's/TJ Maxx/HomeGoods to get Christmas cards, wrapping paper, decorations, etc... The only thing I really needed this year was cards, as I'd finally exhausted my stash.
I had December 27th off (and I was the only one in my family), so I pulled myself up by my bootstraps and went to Methuen, MA/Salem, NH -- the nearest strip mall heaven (or hell, depending on your perspective!)
My first stop was JoAnn Fabrics. I don't usually go there, but since it was the first place geographically that I came to, I decided to give it a shot. I didn't do too badly.
Holiday Buttons Tissue Paper: $1.19
Peace Metal Plate: $1.49
Glitter Bird Ornament: $2.99
Grand Total: $5.67
Next up was Michael's. I was on a mission here. Earlier in the season, I had seen DIY ornament kits that I thought would be perfect for my stepdaughter G. She likes to color and likes to give gifts to her friends/staff at her program. I was hoping they'd have some left -- they did! I got one velvet ornament kit (G. loves to color velvet pictures) and the rest are wooden. They each come with markers and glitter glue. I fear that the markers may be dry and the glitter glue may be solid by December 2012, but the ornaments themselves were what I was really after. For the price I paid, who cares if we have to use other markers/paint/glitter glue! If memory serves me, these five kits should make her 15-20 ornaments!
I seemed to have misplaced the receipt, but I paid between 50-70 cents per kit.
Grand Total: $3.50 (at the most!)
Going from one crafts store to the next, I hopped over to A.C. Moore. This is where I got the best bargains of the day. I bought some funky ornaments and some High School Musical and Cheetah Girls Christmas wrapping paper. Let me just say that we have more than enough ornaments, but these caught my eye with their bright neon-ish colors and glitter. Plain and simple -- I like them. (Oh, and John is fond of birds, especially cardinals, so I got him a wooden cardinal ornament.) As I was walking to the register, I happened to see the wrapping paper. I did a double-take -- 20 CENTS PER ROLL. Yes, that's what I said. How could I NOT buy it? They might as well have paid ME to take it away.
(I can't find the receipt for these purchases, but did I mention that the wrapping paper was 20 CENTS PER ROLL?
(The other two rolls of paper on the right are from one of my next stops, Christmas Tree Shops.)
Next? HomeGoods. I love HomeGoods. I could live in it. Here, even though it was two days after Christmas, I still got my cards for 2012 and some really cute cocktail napkins (as you'll see, they're perfect for my newly loved cocktail -- the cranberry mimosa.)
4 boxes of cards: $10.46
Mistletoe Mimosa cocktail napkins: 84 cents
Grand Total: $11.30
I was on a roll!!! Christmas Tree Shops was next (after a failed visit to the local Hallmark store and Target.). I got the two rolls of Christmas paper in the photo above and some battery-operated candles for the windows. I had wanted them in 2011, but it didn't work out. So, if I saw some on my shopping trip, I was going to get them -- and I did! Another great bargain. As you can see from the photo, each box of two is marked as $3.99. All Christmas decor was 1/2 off, so I figured I get two candles/one box for $2.00. After I paid, I realized that the total was less than I thought. I looked at the receipt and discovered that I got two candles/one box for $1.15!!!!!! Score!
2 rolls Christmas wrapping paper: $1.98
5 boxes/10 window candles: $5.70
Grand Total: $7.68
After all of this stuff for the house, tree, wrapping, I decided it was time for something for me! My last stop was Kohl's. I had a 15% off coupon and $10 Kohl's cash. ("Free" stuff!) As mentioned in a previous post, I LOVE knee socks. Mine are Target clearance pairs and are starting to get holes in them, so I splurged on two pair of comfy black ones. I've also been wanting a larger brown wallet to use in my big Vera Bradley bag and I found a great Nine West one. Ready for this total?
Wallet: $11.05
2 pair socks: $1.69
Grand Total: $12.74
All in all? A great shopping day!
No comments:
Post a Comment