I really really really loved this movie.
I really really really wanted to write a review so that I could share my opinion with as many people as possible (which isn't that many, considering the readership of this blog is rather small).
I really really really realized that I had no clue how to write a review other than to say I loved the movie.
So, as any good researcher would do, I did some Googling to find some a reputable site with some guidance/instructions.
I found this site. It's a bit dated, but I'm guessing the format of a movie review hasn't changed much over time.
So, here goes.
My homemade trailer:
Picture this -- you're a law enforcement officer who has to work up the courage to call a set of parents to tell them that their 12-year old foster son is missing from camp. You go through with the phone to call to get a voice on the other end of the line saying he's not wanted back. Um, what???? Yeah, that's right. The movie mixes humor and sadness on so many occasions, such as this one, and will leave you laughing and crying.
Just the facts, ma'am:
Movie title: Moonrise Kingdom
Director: Wes Anderson
Studio: Indian Paintbrush
Main cast: Too many to name, but recognizable names such as Bruce Willis, Bill Murray, and Edward Norton are great, but just as great are little-known names such as Kara Hayward & Jared Gilman.
Year made: 2012
Rating: PG-13
Synposis from IMDb: A pair of young lovers flee their New England town, which causes a local search party to fan out and find them.
Plot/character summary:
This movie just cannot be summed up in one sentence. There are so many more layers to it. To elaborate on the above, the "young lovers" are 12-year old "misfits" Sam & Suzy. Each with their own issues, they find each other in church in the dressing room during a play. They conspire to meet each other while Sam is at faux Boy Scout camp and Suzy is with her family in their summer home (or at least I think it's their summer home.) They meet and run away and leave a number of characters chasing them. Suzy's family is headed up by Bill Murray, who plays her Dad and Frances McDormand, who plays her Mom. There are marital problems between the two dueling attorneys and Suzy has caught her Mom on more than one occasion kanoodling with the island's lone law enforcement office, Captain Sharp (Bruce Willis). Sam & Suzy get to know each other while on the lam and force others on the island to address their own issues.
Key moment:
Later in their journey, Sam & Suzy (along with several other faux Boy Scouts) escape to another local island. One of the Scouts' cousins is a faux Boy Scout leader (played by Jason Schwartzman) and is enlisted to marry the two. Yes, marry the two 12-year olds. Schwartzman adeptly carries off the lines about the seriousness of the ritual of marriage, yet also nails the hilarity mixed in. This is how the majority of the movie goes -- laughter on top of serious messages.
To recommend or not recommend?:
I think I've already split those beans -- two thumbs up! I loved the movie, because it's set in the 1960's and the costumes, hair, etc... transport you back to that time perfectly. There's also a narrator who speaks to the camera a few times throughout the movie, giving it a little something extra.
Go see it -- you'll like it!!!

I've been dying to see this movie - and happy to see a positive review! But "The Dark Knight Rises" is coming out on Friday and my loyalty to Christian Bale insists that I see Batman first. [sigh] It's anyone's guess if I'll ever see MK on the big screen...
ReplyDeleteLoved it.
ReplyDelete