If you saw my 40 Before 41 list, you might remember that #9 was, "Revisit horseback riding (which I haven’t done some since summer camp in elementary school)."
Well, in my March 1st check-in, I said, "I've found two places in my town that offer lessons. I'm making a promise to myself to email them over the next week to get prices."
Serendipitously (is that spelled right?), a flier from our town's adult education arrived shortly thereafter.
BAM -- Smack dab in the middle was horseback riding lessons!!! A local farm that gives horseback riding lessons offered a discount through the adult ed. program. I emailed the farm's owner, and voila, I'm signed up for four horseback riding lessons.
So, on Saturday at 12:15, I showed up...in track pants and old sneakers. I was told, "You won't be wearing that to the next lesson." Laughingly I said, "I WON'T be wearing this to the next lesson." My teacher started rattling off things such as, "paddock boots," "chaps," "riding pants," "Tipperary helmets," etc...
All I caught was, "You must have some boots with a heel."
I took her advice and got serious. I went to Dover Saddlery and got these.
Paddock boots.
Um, do you KNOW how much paddock boots can cost?
The salesperson said, "How much do you want to spend?"
I said, "Less than $50."
Salesperson said, "Well you definitely don't want Ariats."
I said, "Um, OK."
While she went out back to find me some bargain basement boots, I looked around.
Ariat boots? HUNDREDS of dollars.
I was clearly out of my league. I tried on a few pair and meekly said, "I'll take the $35 pair."
For me, spending $35 on a potential long-term hobby is SERIOUS!
No comments:
Post a Comment