Monday, March 5, 2012

Always an Anchor Girl

Today, March 5th, 2012 is International Badge Day, sponsored by the National Panhellenic Conference.

Translation -- Wear your sorority pin!

This year's theme is "Wear Your Letters On Your Heart."


I haven't worn my pin in probably close to 20 years. (Luckily I knew where it was.) I keep it in my jewelry box pinned to this retro 90's pin pillow:





I decided to wear my pin this year for mostly one reason -- in memory of my friend and sorority sister Megan.  Megan passed away last year from cancer. She was 40 years old. She was married. She had two small daughters. She was an amazing, vibrant, funny, intelligent woman. I was lucky enough to be reunited with her via Facebook and am thankful for that.

I felt like wearing my pin was the right thing to do (as small a thing as it may have been).


(No, that's not plush purple carpeting -- it's my sweater.)

Wearing my letters on my heart helped to remind me throughout the day the power of sisterhood and how proud I am to be a part of that.

I'll always be an anchor girl!

1 comment:

  1. Very sweet, Katie. Pin story...after college, I began babysitting for a family that had a little girl named Carly (and a boy named Kenny.) I sat for them almost every weekend. They were my "first babies." The kids were the flower girl and ring bearer in our wedding. Carly grew up, and went to college at Maryland. She pledged DG, was accepted (of course) and I went to the initiation ceremony. I got to pin her - and gave her my pin. Right now, she's spending a semester in Rome. I have 3 girls myself, and I bet Carly will pin one of mine girls when they initiate to DG, too.

    ReplyDelete