Thursday, March 1, 2012

40 Before 41 Check-in: 339 days left

So, let's see how I'm doing on my "40 Before 41" checklist, shall we?

1. Read 50 books in one calendar year. DONE! See here.


2. Finish my master’s degree. DONE!

3. Lose 25 lbs. Um, not so much. However, I am actively scouring Craigslist for a treadmill to aide in this effort. If you've got one and want to sell it, drop me a note!

4. Take an advanced calligraphy class. This is a tough one. I check community college offerings and adult education centers. I'll keep trying.

5. Post at least eight times per month on my blog. Good thing I left this one purposely vague. I DID in fact post MORE than eight times in January of this year. The months before and February? Not so much.

6. Complete the Couch to 5K program. When said treadmill enters this house, the training will begin again (sidelined last year due to sprained ankle.)

7. Hang out with my friends more often (or talk more often to those I can’t hang out with more due to geography.) I'm only half crossing this one out. I've been doing A LOT more with my friends since the start of 2012 and I'm really happy about that. I need to work on calling those I can't see that often.

8. Have one room in our basement finished. Once John finishes his big conference at work in a few weeks, we will begin the process. We will have our attic checked to make sure there's no mold and then all of the non-crap in the basement can be moved up there and the fun can begin.

9. Revisit horseback riding (which I haven’t done some since summer camp in elementary school). I've found two places in my town that offer lessons. I'm making a promise to myself to email them over the next week to get prices.

10. Go on vacation again to Rehoboth Beach, DE. DONE! (And going again this year!)

11. Buy a houseplant and nurture it so that it will live for at least one month. (I’m setting my sights low.) Getting this out of the library this weekend. I love the subtitle: Essential Gardening Know-How for Keeping (Not Killing) More Than 160 Indoor Plants


12. Watch Netflix movies within two weeks. Hmm. I stopped the whole "get a movie by mail" from Netflix after they raised their prices. Is it worth another $8/month?

13. Have a gathering of friends at our house. Um, no. This summer?

14. Drink only one soda per day. I'm on and off with this. I rarely drink more than one per day, but I'm going to try to go a month with only one per day.

15. Go on a vacation with my mom. Someday. She and my Dad are moving, so maybe after that.

16. Play tennis with my husband at least twice. This summer.

17. Go parasailing. Hopefully next summer (yes, which will be after I turn 41) in Aruba.

18. Join the technology revolution and get an iPhone. Check!

19. Go through the plastic tubs of photos from my grandparents’ house and scan the ones I want to have copies of. Sort of did this when my Granddad passed away, but didn't do a thorough job.

20. Create a photo wall of family pics in the front entryway. I've been collecting ideas for this on Pinterest.

21. Take a cooking class. Again, checking community colleges and adult ed.

22. Finish an entire game of Monopoly. Maybe when my stepson comes home. He likes that game and is very competitive, which will force me to finish.

23. Get up early on Black Friday and go shopping. Went last year, but did not get up early.

24. Go to a Bon Jovi concert. This WILL happen (if Bon Jovi cooperates with me.)

25. Follow through with my cleaning schedule for an entire month. Um, not yet.

26. If #3 is not accomplished, at least go down one pant size. See comment after #3.

27. Exercise enough so that I do not have to take pills for high cholesterol anymore. See comment after #3.
28. Go to a professional development event, i.e., ALA. Hmmm...Seattle or Anaheim? Probably not. However, in 2016, ALA will be back in Boston.

29. Turn in a school assignment a whole day before it’s due. DONE!

30. Try downhill skiing. Thinking about it.

31. Go out for tapas. Hopefully when I go to D.C. this summer I can go back to the yummy restaurant we went to, the name of which is escaping me.

32. Put money into savings each month. Working on.

33. Get the entire “Bones” series from Netflix and watch them all! Very confusing. Netflix says it's not available to watch instantly, but then you can click on each episode and it looks like they play. Hmm....

34. Join a book club. Help me out peeps! Anyone know of one near me???

35. Do SOMETHING with my wedding dress. Help me out again peeps! Anyone know of a talented seamstress near me??? I have an idea in mind.

36. Revisit crocheting. This might change to knitting. I've had an offer to teach me!

37. Try 5 new restaurants. DONE! #1: Agave Mexican Bistro. See review here. #2: Wang's Table: Local yocal Chinese restaurant that's actually pretty good. #3: FINS Fish House & Raw Bar: A to-die-for Pear Pomegranate Martini and delectable Swordfish. #4: Birches Bar & Grill at Mohegan Sun. Had a lovely Pomegranate Martini there. #5: Margaritas: OK chain Mexican.

38. Try yoga. One thing at a time, people!

39. Pay off at least one credit card. DONE!

40. A wild card item—my choice. Still mulling over.

Not bad. Could be better, but not bad.

1 comment: