Tuesday, June 5, 2012

50 States? 50 Blogs!: California



Let me first start by saying that you can't go wrong with a blog that has a symbol in its title. (Shows up a little crazy in the blog reader, but no biggie.) How did I come across this blog? Well, sit down my pretties and I'll tell you. When I first joined Twitter, I immediately "followed" the people I knew in real life and the celebrities I was interested in stalking, eh I mean "following." Then after that took all of 30 seconds, I wondered who else was out there in Twitterdom. I found that I could search profiles by keyword, so I searched things like "golden retriever," "hockey," "greyhound," "Boston Bruins," etc... One or more of these led me to the Twitter account of Lima Bean Greyhound (@LimaBeantheGrey). I "followed" Lima and saw that there was a blog address in the brief description/blip and VOILA. It's really magic, I tell you. However, that's not where it stops. So, if you've read my blog for any length of time, you may know that my parents have two rescued greyhounds (shout out to Arturo & Raymander) / the owner of this blog has a greyhound named Lima Bean. My parents used to live in Boston / the owner of this blog used to live in Boston. My Dad & husband drove across country with said greyhounds (my husband's blog, The Village Rant, chronicles this journey) / the owner of this blog drove across country with Lima and documented in his blog. Oh, and did I mention he's a hockey fan? (And so are we!)

Things that caught my eye about this blog:
  • This isn't your run-of-the-mill Blogger blog. It's hosted on Tumblr, which gives it a different look and feel. I honestly don't know much about Tumblr or the differences between it and Blogger, but going west looks more sophisticated to me.
  • I love the daily breakdown in the column on the right of the drive cross country from Boston to San Francisco. It's neatly organized and the reader can follow the journey easily. There's even a map that visually shows all of the stops made.
  • All the amazing photos of Lima and his greyhound friends. Greyhounds seem like one of the most photogenic dog breeds (if not THE most photogenic.) Lima Bean's owner has done a great job of capturing his many moods/faces.
 Things on this blog that I'd like for my blog:
  • The "Ask Me Anything" portion of the blog. A little frightened about what might be asked, but kind of fun.
  • A cool tagline/subtitle. "be wary of that greyhound" is going west's and I think it's great.
Check this blog out if you appreciate great photography (not only of greyhounds, but of food and San Francisco, too), unique information about San Francisco's Bernal Heights neighborhood, and a slightly offbeat sense of humor (I mean that in the best way possible!)

No comments:

Post a Comment