Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Farewell Artwell

Today a gentle and kind soul traveled over the Rainbow Bridge.

Art
Artie
Arturo
Arthur McFarter

And the list goes on.

Artie was my parents' third retired racer greyhound. (Sophie & Zeke preceded him over the Rainbow Bridge.) I didn't have the connection to him that I had to Sophie & Zeke, but John was lucky enough to travel across country with him and his brother Ray.

My parents didn't have him long, but loved him, cuddled him, and gave him a wonderful life. He developed a sarcoma and it caused him to limp. My mother found a tumor on his face only days ago. Not wanting him to suffer, my parents gave him his freedom and let him run free, over the Rainbow Bridge, to meet with Sophie, Zeke, our Max, and the dogs from my childhood, Zack & Ziggy.

We love you Art and we'll miss you. <3


Here are some pictures of Art & his brother from another mother, Ray. They were taken at the Stay Pet Hotel, where they'd go to stay when my parents were out of town. I'm sure that Art lived some of his best moments there.

October 2011: Art & Ray are new siblings and getting to know one another.

photo credit:


April 2012: Six months later and "fast" friends.


photo credit:

2 comments:

  1. I'm very sorry for your family's loss. It looks like Art really lived the life with your parents, which he surely deserved in his retirement. He has many wonderful friends waiting for him at the bridge and you know together they are running fast and free now.

    My little dog Mason goes to Stay and I bet he admired Art and Ray. A few months ago, we were walking in our NE nabe and stopped to chat with an older couple and their senior greyhound. Mason had never met a greyhound before and he loves for bigger dogs to chase him. He started doing his "chase me" dance and the couple laughed along with me when I said, "Mason you have no idea what you're getting into asking a Greyhound to chase you!" As we walked away, Mason kept looking over his shoulder at the dog and I told him, "That's right, Mason, greyhounds are SUPER cool."

    Take care. And thanks for visiting my blog!

    -Chandra at Daley's Dog Years

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad we were able to meet Artie in Portland... He was so sweet, yet also had a little bit of a spunky side, which I ADORE in dogs... I am sending love to you all, and hoping that Art is frolicking and free and feeling no pain...

    ReplyDelete