Monday, June 25, 2012

These Feet Were Made For Jogging



OK...I'm not sure they were "made" for jogging, but this past weekend, I proved that they CAN jog an entire 5K! Completing the Couch to 5K program is on my 40 Before 41 list and I DID IT!!!

Sorry for shouting, but I'm still somewhat in awe of the fact that I followed through on something that took about 10 weeks and involved exercise, of which I've never been fond.

The excitement started Friday night when I went and picked up my number (or "bib" as the experienced runners call it) and my complimentary t-shirt.



This pick-up immediately presented two questions:
  1. Where do I pin my bib?
  2. Do I wear the shirt to the race?
Luckily, I have lots of friends on Facebook who know what they're doing in the running world and they instructed me on proper pinning of the bib and told me I didn't need to wear my complimentary shirt.

After my mind was at ease about these details, I allowed myself to "carb up" by having takeout pizza. Now, I'm not really sure that this is what runners have in order to "carb up" (I'm thinking it's more likes pasta), but being on Weight Watchers, I thought I deserved something a little more exciting thans spaghetti. So, I had two slices of a small veggie pizza, watched some TV, figured out what time I needed to wake up the next morning to be on time, decided to wear my old glasses since I was used to running in them, and then called it a night.

I had a good night's sleep, woke up bright eyed at 7:30, to have John tell me it'd been raining for about an hour.

Ugh.

My mood was immediately dampened. (Pun intended.)

John asked me if the 5K would still happen even if it was raining.

Guess what?

I didn't know.

I went online to try to find out and found on an entry form that it was "rain or shine."

After reading that it was full speed ahead. There was no stopping me now.

I got up, showered, and had a good breakfast.

We arrived at the race location about 1 hour before the start time. I'm sure experienced runners don't arrive that early (which was evident by the small number of parked cars), but I'm glad I did so I could get the lay of the land.

I picked up two more safety pins so that I could complete the bib pinning, loaded up with sunscreen (unnecessary) and bug spray (necessary.)

Even though I've been losing weight (kudos to Weight Watchers!), I'm still not thrilled about photos of me, but I immediately asked John to take a photo of me "pre-race."


Here I am! Butterflies in my stomach!!! After the photo, I headed to the porta-potty. You're thinking no big deal, why is she telling me this? Um, I HATE going to the bathroom in public places. It's sort of a weird phobia I have. However, I knew I had to before the race. (TMI? Sorry.)

Anywho, I went (luckily before the line formed), saw some co-workers, and after feeling slightly nauseous, FINALLY lined up. The guy who was on the bullhorn said that the slower runners should go to the back of the pack. I was in the middle of the pack and I figured that would be OK. Pfft...not.

The gun went off and it all started.

Immediately we had to go up a hill.

Immediately I was passed by about 90% of the other runners.

I just kept thinking, "Try not to care. You're doing this and it doesn't matter how slow you go."

My main goal was to jog/run the entire 5K. I saw some people walking ahead of me, but I wanted to jog/run and I would be happy...regardless of whether I came in last or not.

The 5K was a trail run and I tried to take in the scenery around me, as it was pleasant weather and the rain had stopped. I was also trying to be cognizant of branches, mud, cows, etc.., and I'm not known for my balance and both John and I talked about this ahead of time.

I came to the point where the 5K runners diverged from the 10K runners (crazy), grabbed a water at the water stop, and soaked in the accolades thrown at me by those stationed along the route. One guy said to me, "Hey...you're the first runner to arrive for the 10K!" I told myself (and him) that this was my first 5K and that I was happy with what I was doing.

I was then on the home stretch and could see the finish line. John captured this one of me as I was almost there.


People were along the fence clapping, giving me "way to go's", and the announcer was cheering me on. Best of all? I saw John smiling. I ran all the way through the finish line, came back, and of course said, "I think I'm last." (Regardless of all of my mental toughness earlier in the race.)

John insisted I wasn't last (I really thought he was just humoring me) and we headed back to the car.

I felt great. My legs and back were a little sore, but for having run 36 minutes (the longest I've ever run), I was flying high!

Later on that day, the times were posted and I saw indeed that I wasn't last (although close to last).

Reflecting on the whole experience, it wouldn't have mattered if I WAS last. I did it. A 40 year old woman who NEVER did any type of exercise, ran three times per week for 10ish weeks and ran a 5K. So, if you're thinking you can't do it -- you can.

Thanks to everyone who supported me, especially my amazing husband John. He started out running with me in the beginning until he injured his knee. Even after that, he came to the track and walked. He was there to support me the whole way and calmed my nerves before the "real deal." Thanks, Dear.

I can now cross another thing off of my 40 Before 41 list -- wahoo!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Way to go KT! Proud of you! My goal is to complete one next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome job, Katie! I'm so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete