Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Barbeque Meatloaf

Meatloaf. (Not the singer.)

When I think of meatloaf the food, I think of cold weather comfort food, ketchup, and mashed potatoes.

I made some Cheesy Meat Loaf Minis last year from Cooking Light and I've been looking for another meatloaf recipe to try.

I found one!

Barbecue Meat Loaf

Ingredients

1 1/2 pounds ground beef, extra lean (raw)
1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup barbecue sauce, divided (I used Stubbs)
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 large egg whites
Cooking spray


Preparation
Preheat oven to 350°.

Combine the beef, breadcrumbs, and onion, 1 tablespoon barbecue sauce, and remaining ingredients except cooking spray in a large bowl.

 Shape meat mixture into a 9 x 5-inch loaf on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Spread remaining barbecue sauce over top of meat loaf. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a thermometer registers 160°. Let stand 10 minutes. Cut loaf into 12 slices.

The barbecue flavor is not overwhelming and we ended up using barbecue sauce on the side for dipping (similar to how one might dip in ketchup.)

It tasted good. The only aesthetic issue was that the barbecue sauce pooled up on top of the meatloaf and left a greasy sheen on top of the loaf. Perhaps next time I won't put it on top for the whole hour -- maybe just for 15-20 minutes.

I forgot to take a photo until we'd already cut into it, so forgive that and the fact that it's on a crappy old Corelle dish.  And the fact that it's a crappy photo altogether. There's a much better photo at the link to the recipe!


No comments:

Post a Comment