Sunday, June 10, 2012

WW Nachos Grandes

Last night we went to dinner at Chili's. I poured over the nutritional information for various items on the menu prior to going and calculated Weight Watchers PointsPlus for each. It amazes me that what I would've ordered had I not be on Weight Watchers was so.many.points. (High 20's/low 30's.) Luckily, they have a "Lighter Choice" section and I was able to get a grilled chicken sandwich on a whole wheat bun with no fat honey mustard dressing with lettuce and tomato and a side of broccoli. That cost me 15 points, which isn't too too bad for eating out.

Anywho, John & G. ordered chips & salsa for an appetizer (of which I had one small chip with a smidge of salsa), which got me wanting nachos or something of that ilk. As luck would have it, I had gotten this cookbook out of the library earlier yesterday.



Even luckier was the fact that on page 70, there was a recipe for Nachos Grandes. The photo on the opposite page looked enticing, so I decided to give it a whirl.

It was pretty darn good. When I told John I was making it and asked if he wanted any, he said OK until I told him I was making it with ground turkey. That OK turned into a negatory. However, once they came out of the oven, he tried them and thought they were pretty good. Go figure!

The only issue is that it serves 12 and 1/12 is 3 pts. As this was going to be a light dinner for me, I basically let myself have a 1/4 of it for 9 pts.

Nachos Grandes
serves 12

1 tsp. canola oil
1/4 lb. ground skinless turkey breast
1 c. canned red kidney beans, rinsed & drained
1 sm. onion, finely chopped
1 (14 oz) can diced green tomatoes with green chiles, drained (I couldn't find green tomatoes with chiles, so I bought a can of red tomatoes with chiles and added in some green tomato salsa.)
2 tsp. Mexican or taco seasoning
6 oz. reduced-fat restaurant-style tortilla chips
3/4 c. shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
12 pitted black olives (sliced) (I skipped these -- HATE black olives!)
1/4 c. sliced pickled jalapeno peppers (drained)
1/2 c. fat-free sour cream

1. Preheat oven to 425F. Spray baking sheet with nonstick spray.
2. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add turkey, red kidney beans, and onion; cook, breaking turkey apart with wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and Mexican seasoning; cook until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Keep warm.
3. Place tortilla chips on prepared baking sheet in single layer. Top evenly with turkey mixture; sprinkle evenly with Cheddar, olives, and jalapenos. Bake until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. Pile nachos on serving platter. Serve with sour cream.



Enjoy!


1 comment: